Sometimes, it can feel like everything is stacked against us and we need a bit of a boost. A rough day might feel like a fluke, but we shouldn’t be expected to just shake things off. After all, what good will it do to try to not think about things? Let’s look to wisdom for inspiration.
We might not be able to change the past, but we can make the future better by improving our mindsets. Reading motivational quotes can help us realize that our problems are not forever.
Here are 10 inspirational wisdom quotes to read after a long day.
1. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
We often think that our success relies on us achieving things almost instantaneously. Confucius reminds us that there is no timer for us to satisfy. The person who completes the marathon last is not the loser. They’re as much of a winner as the one who was first across the finish line, because they refused to give up.
2. “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and enjoying it for everything that it is.” – Mandy Hale
Research from the Harris Poll found that only 33 percent of Americans consider themselves to be happy. Why so blue? It could be that we’re so focused on what we don’t have that we can’t appreciate what we do have. When you stop holding yourself to some standard of expectations that you can never fully achieve, you can value yourself more and appreciate life. This is one of the best wisdom quotes for reminding us to not take things for granted.
3. “Wisdom is not wisdom when it is derived from books alone.” – Anonymous
Wisdom is gained through experiences and harsh life lessons. When we go through a difficult day, we might feel like it’s been a loss. However, it’s actually been a net benefit to us, because it’s provided us with a new perspective. It’s up to us to apply these lessons to our lives.
4. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” – Joshua J. Marine
This is one of the best wisdom quotes for reminding us about the importance of being resilient. Research suggests that going through difficulties can have a positive impact on us. As we overcome obstacles, we come out of them stronger than before.
5. “Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy.” – Rumi
Suffering isn’t necessarily something to be cherished, but it can be appreciated. We can realize that our difficulties can give us a better understanding of how to improve our lives. Just because things don’t go well in one instance doesn’t mean that things are doomed for us.
6. “Silence is the sleep that nourishes wisdom.” – Francis Bacon
Sometimes, to find a solution, we need to be willing to take a step back and just appreciate the silence. Wisdom quotes like this remind us that the key to wisdom can often be found within ourselves. We just have to prevent ourselves from overthinking.
7. “The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.” – George Orwell
Perfectionism only serves to frustrate us. While we should try our best, we should not aim for perfection. Instead, we should be willing to accept that giving things our all is better than getting everything we desire. We can feel much more satisfied by not holding ourselves to an impossible standard.
8. “Seek the wisdom of the ages, but look at the world through the eyes of a child.” – Ron Wild
Think back to being a child and how wide-eyed and innocent you were. There was so much beauty to be found in the world, even when you weren’t looking for it. Those experiences can still occur. You just need to be willing to shift how you view things. Wisdom quotes like this remind us that children have more insight than we might realize.
9. “As long as you keep going, you’ll keep getting better. And as you get better, you gain more confidence. That alone is success.” – Tamara Taylor
Satisfaction in life comes from staying the course when we could give up.
10. “If I fall, I’ll take the fall and get up and keep going.” – Mirai Nagasu
Failure shouldn’t be viewed as shameful, as those who fail are often ones who tried just as hard as those who succeeded.
It can be hard to find comfort when experiencing difficulties. That’s why it’s important to turn to wisdom quotes such as these. We can remember just how much trouble others have gone through and how much of a difference optimism and wisdom can make.