Friendship is one of the most essential things in life, and these best quotes on friendship sum it up. Friends will stick by your side through hardships and obstacles, and accept you for who you are.
They do all of this while creating lifelong memories with you. Whether your friend is similar to you or drastically different, you can learn something from them. As long as you surround yourself with positive people, your friends will help you learn and grow.
Friends bring light to your life and give you comfort. You can always count on them to be there when you need it most and to help you back up when you’re down. These best quotes on friendship can help you appreciate your good friends even more.
Twenty of the Best Quotes on Friendship
Kick back with a hot cup of tea and enjoy these wise words.
1. “A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.” – Unknown
When someone knows all of these details about you and still loves you, then you have found a true friend. You won’t keep secrets from them or be ashamed of anything because they accept you for who you are.
2. “In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, for in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.” – Khalil Gibran
Laughing with a friend is sure to make you feel happy, which makes this one of the best quotes on friendship. In these little moments of laughter, you are creating memories that you’ll never forget. This is when you will feel the happiest and find everlasting joy.
3. “Many a person has held close, throughout their entire lives, two friends that always remained strange to one another, because one of them attracted by virtue of similarity, the other by difference.” – Emil Ludwig
During your life, you have likely always had a friend who is your opposite. Likewise, you’ve probably always had a close friend who was very similar to you. If you relate to this, you might have two close friends who don’t understand one another.
Even so, these friends hold a special place in your heart. It’s nice to have someone you can relate to and enjoy similar things with. It’s just as lovely, however, to have someone who can help you step out of your comfort zone.
4. “Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you; spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.” – Amy Poehler (click to tweet)
Your friends should be an inspiration to you. They should challenge you and help you become a better person. In the process, they will build you up so that you can see your potential. When you find these friends, keep them around. Spend your time with them so you can grow and learn.
5. “How many slams in an old screen door? Depends how loud you shut it. How many slices in a bread? Depends how thin you cut it. How much good inside a day? Depends how good you live ’em. How much love inside a friend? Depends how much you give ’em.” – Shel Silverstein
This cute poem by Silverstein gives fun examples of how to measure things. He explains that the outcome depends on how you treat the situation.
If you cut the bread thinner, you’ll get more slices, and if you live a good life, there will be more good in the day. Likewise, the love a friend gives depends on how much love you give to a friend. Remember that everything in life is affected by what you are putting into the world.
6. “A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.” – Unknown
No person is perfect, and a real friend will look beyond your imperfections. They won’t see the things that you are ashamed about, they’ll only see the good in you.
7. “When it hurts to look back, and you’re afraid to look ahead, you can look beside you, and your best friend will be there.” – Unknown
Life is hard sometimes, but it’s better with your best friend by your side. The past may be painful and the future uncertain, but you can always count on your friend. You will never have to feel alone in life when they are with you.
8. “Friendship takes work. Finding friends, nurturing friendships, scheduling face time, it all takes a tremendous amount of work. But it’s worth it. If you put in the effort, you’ll see the rewards of positive friends who will make your life extraordinary.” – Maya Angelou
Relationships of any kind can be challenging. Friendships, especially, because it takes so much work to nurture them and keep them afloat. People drift apart and go their separate ways, making it even harder.
You have to remember, though, that friendships are worth all of this work. They are worth all the effort and planning that goes into them.
9. “You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you.” – Dale Carnegie
Avoid talking about yourself unless someone asks. Instead, talk about them. Show people that you are interested in them, and making friends will come quickly.
10. “True friends aren’t the ones who make your problems disappear. They are the ones who won’t disappear when you’re facing problems.” – Unknown
It’s impossible to make problems magically disappear. You can’t expect a friend to do that. What a friend can do it be there with you while you face the issues, and a true friend will do it.
Sometimes you may forget who you are or lay your goals and dreams become forgotten. A friend knows who you indeed are, though, and they will remind you of it until you remember on your own. Positive people like this can help you rediscover yourself and live up to your potential.
12. “That’s when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you — the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you — because that is what people are supposed to do.” – Unknown
A friend will love you for who you are, despite anything that happens. They will accept your flaws and mistakes and love you anyway.
13. “Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time, we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.” – Ally Condie
When a friendship ends because two people grew apart, it doesn’t change what happened in the past. They will always be a part of you because you grew and learned together for a time.
14. “Some people arrive and make such a beautiful impact on your life you can barely remember what life was like without them.” – Anna Taylor
When a person comes into your life, and you can’t remember what life was life before that, keep them around. These are the friends who will inspire you and who you will make everlasting memories with.
15. “Some of the biggest challenges in relationships come from the fact that most people enter a relationship in order to get something: they’re trying to find someone who’s going to make them feel good. In reality, the only way a relationship will last is if you see your relationship as a place that you go to give, and not a place that you go to take.” – Anthony Robbins
If you think only of giving to your friends and getting nothing in return, your friendships will surely last. You’ll notice that the more you give, the more you receive, too. Put into the relationship precisely what you want to get out of it.
16. “Best friends understand when you say, ‘forget it.’ Wait forever when you say, ‘just a minute.’ Stay when you say, ‘leave me alone.’ And open the door before you can say, ‘come in.’” – Unknown
Best friends are comfortable with each other, even when they push the other out of their comfort zone. They are comfortable enough to stick around when you tell them to leave. Plus, they are comfortable walking into your home without waiting to be invited.
When you find a friend like this, embrace the relationship. Having someone, you can be this comfortable with can help you through some of your most challenging times and best times.
17. “One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss but in the number of things they need no longer mention.” – Clifton Fadiman
You know a friendship is real when they know so much about you. When there isn’t much left for them to learn, you know you have let someone in that has changed your life.
18. “Best friends share laughs, memories, and inside jokes. They will always be honest and stand by your side no matter what. They wipe your tears, pick you up when you fall and are forever a piece of your heart.” – Unknown
Friendships should be happy and fun and should always involve making memories. Friends should be honest with one another and support one another in anything. They will be there for you when things aren’t going well and help you overcome the struggle. Most importantly, they leave an imprint on your heart forever.
19. “A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him, I may think aloud. I am arrived at last in the presence of a man so real and equal, that I may drop even those undermost garments of dissimulation, courtesy, and second thought, which men never put off, and may deal with him with the simplicity and wholeness with which one chemical atom meets another.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You can be yourself around a friend and say whatever is on your mind, as Emerson explains here. Friendships like these are ones that you don’t have to feel insecure in. The friend won’t judge you, and you can be genuine with them.
20. “Tis the privilege of friendship to talk nonsense, and to have her nonsense respected.” – Charles Lamb
Life can’t be sober all the time. You have to be able to let go and relax sometimes. This is what a good friend is for, so you can talk about things that don’t matter and let loose for a while.
These best quotes on friendship are reminders of how special friends are. Friendships are unique and extraordinary and should be treated as such.
Remember to put into a friendship what you want to get out of it. Surround yourself with positive people, and you will find people who love you as much as you love them. Embrace your friends, and share the best quotes on friendship with them.