The philosophy of Zen Buddhism is that messages can be transmitted easily to people on the path to spiritual awakening. It doesn’t matter which spiritual path you take. Zen quotes can offer guidance and peace as you go through life.
Zen quotes encourage and promote happiness, love, humility, calmness, humor, and peace to people on any spiritual journey. As it eases and prevents suffering, a Zen mindset will offer peace of mind, calm, and tranquility.
Twenty Zen Quotes to Help You Feel More Peaceful
If you want to feel more peaceful, Zen quotes are a beneficial way to get you on the right path. The quotes will offer inspiration for engaging peacefully and keeping a tranquil state of mind. Choose one quote each morning to begin your day with, and you will start with a more peaceful mindset.
1. “Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free: Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate.” – Chuang Tzu
You can’t control what happens in life, so make a conscious decision to go with the flow of things. Keep your mind clear and allow yourself to think of the beauty all around you. Even when you would have chosen something different, flowing with the life changes is essential.
No matter what you are doing right now, you can get through it and accept the situation. By doing so, you will maintain a peaceful mindset even in unpleasant situations.
2. “As a bee gathering nectar does not harm or disturb the color & fragrance of the flower; so, do the wise move through the world.” – Buddha
You can go through life without harming or disturbing anyone or anything around you. Be kind, take only what you need, and leave a positive mark everywhere you go. Enjoy the things around you without destroying anything.
3. “Heaven and earth and I are of the same root, The ten-thousand things and I are of one substance.” – Zen Master Sêng-Chao
You are connected to the entire universe and everything in it. When you recognize your connections, you will learn to embrace the world around you and find peace in it.
4. “The aim of spiritual life is to awaken a joyful freedom, a benevolent and compassionate heart in spite of everything.” – Jack Kornfield
As Kornfield explains, spiritual living requires joy and compassion, which results in you feeling more peaceful. This Zen quote reminds you of your goal in regards to peacefulness in your life.
5. “Today, you can decide to walk in freedom. You can choose to walk differently. You can walk as a free person, enjoying every step.”- Thich Nhat Hanh
Thich Nhat Hanh speaks to a truth–you choose the life that you live and every path you take. If you want to experience more peace, you must decide to walk in freedom so that you can embrace every step. With the freedom to live how you want to, you will quickly find peace again.
6. “When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways – either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits or by using the challenge to find our inner strength. Thanks to the teachings of Buddha, I have been able to take this second way.” – Dalai Lama
Devastating things will happen in life, and there is no way to avoid it. When tragedy hits, remember this Zen quote to help you remember that you have a choice. You can choose how you will react by choosing between the options the Dalai Lama describes here.
7. “When you catch yourself slipping into a pool of negativity, notice how it derives from nothing other than resistance to the current situation.” – Donna Quesada
Even those with positive mindsets have negative thoughts sometimes. When you experience increased negativity, remember that it offers no benefits. Instead, being negative resists the situation and doesn’t allow you to learn from it or adapt.
8. “It really boils down to this: that all life is interrelated. We are all caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Everything that you do affects someone or something else. You are connected to the earth and the people in it. Choose to spread peace and joy, and you will experience more of it in your life, too.
9. “The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is.” – Eckhart Tolle
As Tolle explains, the only thing you can be entirely sure of is what you are doing right now. The past becomes distorted with time, and the future can never be certain. Focus on the present and embrace the journey as you go along.
10. “Education breeds confidence. Confidence breeds hope. Hope breeds peace.” – Confucius
As you gain knowledge, you will become more confident. With confidence, you can be hopeful for the future, helping you feel calmer and more peaceful right now.
Anytime you begin to feel your peace slipping away, figure out what it is that you need to understand better. By reflecting and determining the knowledge that you lack, you can return to a peaceful mindset.
11. “Not thinking about anything is Zen. Once you know this, walking, sitting, or lying down, everything you do is Zen.” – Bodhidharma
You don’t have to go anywhere or do anything special to reap the benefits of Zen. Remember this Zen quote as a reminder to work on your inner peace anytime you have a chance to clear your mind.
12. “The art of living… is neither careless drifting on the one hand nor fearful clinging to the past on the other. It consists in being sensitive to each moment, in regarding it as utterly new and unique, in having the mind open and wholly receptive.” – Alan Watts
You shouldn’t drift aimlessly through life, but you should be adaptable to change and obstacles. Focus on the present without allowing the past to weigh you down or sway your decisions. Keep your mind open, and accept everything around you and the situation you are experiencing.
As long as you do the things mentioned in this Zen quote, you will feel more peaceful. Let go of the past, focus your mind on the present, and remain open to what is coming.
13. “I discovered that it is necessary, absolutely necessary, to believe in nothing. That is, we have to believe in something which has no form and no color–something which exists before all forms and colors appear… No matter what god or doctrine you believe in, if you become attached to it, your belief will be based more or less on a self-centered idea.” – Shunryu Suzuki
You must believe in things you cannot physically see if you want to feel more peaceful. It doesn’t matter what you believe in as long as you recognize something deeper and more meaningful.
14. “When I feel like dancing, I dance. I don’t care if anyone else is dancing or if everyone else is laughing at me. I dance.” – Rachel Danson
Do whatever you feel like doing, and don’t worry about who is watching or making fun of you. Enjoy your life fully, and embrace your feelings in each moment. If you live this way, you will feel more peaceful right away, and your life will be full of joy and happiness.
15. “Silence is the language of Om. We need silence to be able to reach our Self. Both internal and external silence is very important to feel the presence of that supreme Love.” – Amit Ray
To find inner peace, you must spend time in silence. Find a quiet place to rest, clear your mind, and embrace the presence of love in your life.
16. “Learning to let go should be learned before learning to get. Life should be touched, not strangled. You’ve got to relax, let it happen at times, and at others move forward with it.” – Ray Bradbury
To move forward peacefully, you must learn to let go of anything that holds you back. You can’t keep obtaining more without letting go of some things, so allow life to flow naturally.
17. “And when they played, they really played. And when they worked, they really worked.” – Dr. Seuss
Live each moment of your life fully. When you are relaxing and enjoying life, embrace it and remain present. Pay attention to the little things that mean the most, and laugh whenever you can.
Likewise, when you work, work as hard as you can. Give every activity your complete effort, and don’t give up until you find a way to accomplish your goal.
If you can dedicate yourself fully to what you are doing right now, you will experience peace. Enjoy life and do the things you love to do, but work hard when the time calls for it.
18. “No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.” – Zen Proverb
You didn’t end up where you are by chance. Every human is as unique as a snowflake. Just like snowflakes, the place that you are right now is where you are supposed to be.
19. “When you are present, you can allow the mind to be as it is without getting entangled in it.” – Eckhart Tolle
If you focus on the present, you won’t become overwhelmed with thoughts of the past or future. You will think more clearly when you are in the present, which results in feeling more peaceful. Let go of any thought that isn’t related to what you are doing right now.
20. “Every being is in search of truth, but small fears go on preventing you.” – Osho
Don’t let your fears prevent you from seeking the truth. With knowledge, your inner-fear will ease, so keep searching until you find the answers you need.
Referencing and memorizing Zen quotes will quickly help you feel more peaceful. You can use these quotes to remember the essential things in life and to help you check your mindset.
Anytime you notice negative thoughts creeping in, remember the wise words found in these Zen quotes. If you can follow the advice and experience given here, you will easily find peace in your life again.