Life has its highs and lows, and no one is exempt from experiencing disappointments, grief, and pain at some point. When going through those downtimes, you can help turn the tide by a little self-therapy in the form of quotes to be happy by combined with measured positive responses.
There are different ways of dealing with negative pressure, and we don’t all respond to the same types of encouragement. Some people may need to laugh. Others may need a good cry. Some may need family and friends to stay close. Others may need periods of solitude.
A favorite quote when life is playing hardball is this short reminder (paraphrasing John Shipp):
In every situation, you can choose to get bitter or better.
Just this simple advice can help save us from the grief of many a pity-party or self-indulgent pout. Studies confirm the importance of keeping a positive attitude and being careful about how we treat ourselves in difficult times.
It may undoubtedly be true that it doesn’t require inspiring quotes to be happy. But they can help by focusing our minds on the positive. Some people may need a quote to make them laugh, others, to make them think. And of course, there are times when you may be looking for some inspirational saying to give away to a friend, coworker, or family member.
It’s essential to keep a positive view of life in general, even if the moment seems to be wholly negative.
20 Quotes to Be Happy Even When You’re Down
1. “I have been bent and broken, but—I hope—into a better shape.” -Charles Dickens
An inspirational quote you can read again and again to keep you on track for better days. You are resilient and strong.
2. “Bad days turn, to manageable days, to nothing can break my days.” -Unknown
Changing your focus can make all the difference. Things will get better from here.
3. “We all have our problems, bad times, and bad days. But there is so much more in life than problems. So irrespective of your problems, make time to love, to smile, and to pray.” -Anurag Prakash Ray
Sometimes the best thing we can do is stand up, take a look around us at the nature of life, and decide to be happy. Make a mindful decision to embrace joy today.
4. “Some days, you just have to create your own sunshine.” -Unknown
Choose to be kind no matter what life throws at you. It helps to heal many hurts.
5. “Smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other—it doesn’t matter who it is—and that will help you grow up in greater love for each other.” -Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Sometimes enjoying a funny moment may be just the release you or a friend needs to be able to let go and begin living again with hope for the future. Laughter can even be a first step toward overcoming crippling fear. There are a lot of funny quotes to be happy about out there on the web. For some, healing may begin with a gentle chuckle bubbling up out of nowhere.
It may be true that one of the best medicines is laughter.
6. “Be happy. Smile even on your darkest days and worst times even though you’re broken up inside. If you can’t seem to do that, call your 2 or 3 best friends and tell them to pick up ice cream on the way over.” -Unknown
When we laugh, we forget for that moment just how awful life can be and remember how wonderful and absurd it can be instead.
7. “Smile. It might not make our problems disappear, but it will stop people from asking what’s wrong with you.” -Unknown
Smiling may not change the situation, but it can certainly lessen its impact on everyday life.
8. “I figured something out. The future is unpredictable.” – John Green
When bad things happen, you may feel frozen in time and space, afraid of failing or making things worse. Looking at the lighter side can help put things in their proper perspective.
9. “The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time.” – Joe Girard
Reading quotes to be happy might lift your mood for the moment. However, you must remember that overcoming adversity–even bouncing back from failure–it a skill all beings must master.
10. “Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster; it’s more like a cha-cha.” –Robert Brault
Some people seem to wax philosophical when difficulties come. You may try to dissect the reasons why, what you did wrong, what others did wrong, and so on. There are rarely apparent answers. Celebrate life as if it’s a dance!
As you muddle along, you might try a few quotes to be happy again and cope with the unanswerable questions.
11. “I find hope in the darkest of days and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe.” -Dalai Lama
It may be necessary to begin building a whole new tomorrow from the ashes of yesterday. The universe sets your ultimate plan–which will become apparent to you when it’s time.
12. Smile when in pain, smile when trouble pours like rain. Smile after someone hurt your feelings, because you know smiling always starts the healing. -Unknown
13. “Appreciate where you are in your journey, even if it’s not where you want to be. Every season serves its purpose.” -Unknown
Keep on track to fulfilling your destiny. Things will turn your way when the time is right. Until then, buckle up and enjoy the ride.
14. “There are hundreds of languages in the world. But a smile speaks them all. And the best smile is the one which shines through troubles.” -Justice Cabral
Smiling. It’s a universal language. Your smile might make the day of someone who needs to see kindness.
15. “When you can’t control what’s happening, challenge yourself to control the way you respond to what’s happening. That’s where your power is.” -Unknown
Use your positivity to aid those in need. Offer your time and energy to help them recover. Or help them find the counseling they need if necessary. Often, the greatest asset we have for living a full and happy life is the investment we make in one another, no matter what’s going on in the world around us.
The most precious memories are the words of encouragement from your own heart to the ones you know best.