As we move through daily life, we find ourselves searching for joy. With all of our daily problems and concerns, reaching for a happy thought may be difficult. Quotes on happiness are there to remind us that what we are searching for is already within our grasp. The best happiness quotes teach us to find joy within ourselves. Quotes on happiness will lead you to a better attitude toward your daily life.
Quotes on happiness come from such diverse sources as celebrities, authors, and cultural leaders. They will touch your heart and teach you to find happiness in your daily life. The best happiness quotes are those that speak to us directly. These 10 quotes on happiness will brighten your day.
10 Beautiful Quotes on Happiness that will Enlighten your Life
1. “Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.”
2. “Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
3. “I know that’s what people say– you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love it will be because something in the man reminds you of him.”
Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
4. “People like to say love is unconditional, but it’s not, and even if it was unconditional, it’s still never free. There’s always an expectation attached. They always want something in return. Like they want you to be happy or whatever and that makes you automatically responsible for their happiness because they won’t be happy unless you are … I just don’t want that responsibility.”
Katja Millay, The Sea of Tranquility
5. “Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn’t nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand.”
Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
6. “After all, what is happiness? Love, they tell me. But love doesn’t bring and never has brought happiness. On the contrary, it’s a constant state of anxiety, a battlefield; it’s sleepless nights, asking ourselves all the time if we’re doing the right thing. Real love is composed of ecstasy and agony.”
Paulo Coelho, The Witch of Portobello
7. “The problem with people is they forget that most of the time it’s the small things that count.”
? Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places
8. “Even if you cannot change all the people around you, you can change the people you choose to be around. Life is too short to waste your time on people who don’t respect, appreciate, and value you. Spend your life with people who make you smile, laugh, and feel loved.”
Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart
9. “The secret of happiness is freedom, the secret of freedom is courage.”
Carrie Jones, Need
10. “Whoever is happy will make others happy.”
Anne Frank, The Diary of a Young Girl
Final Thoughts on Quotes on Happiness
These inspiring quotes on happiness will give you a new perspective as you move through your daily life. The best happiness quotes speak directly to your soul. Teach yourself to be happy by following the principles set out in these quotes. When you learn to focus on what is most important in life, you will naturally find your own personal happiness.