Few companies worldwide are more recognizable than Weight Watchers for diet success. Over 40 years of experience in helping people live healthier lives and reach their weight loss goals testifies to their excellence.
Other companies might be considered too difficult or restrictive. However, weight-watchers gives you the freedom to choose food combinations that appeal to you. Thus, the flexibility makes it less likely that you will succumb to unhealthy snacking during the day.
A balanced approach to weight loss
Weight Watchers promotes a balanced approach to weight loss with a healthy nutrition plan and plenty of choices that are suitable for the pickiest eater. There are no restrictive meals or pre-packaged, processed foods. In fact, the goal of the program is to empower you to make good choices as part of creating a new and healthier lifestyle.
Food and points
Getting started with Weight Watchers
Exercise while on the plan
They encourage adding healthier food choices
The system encourages the consumption of fresh, whole, unprocessed foods, fruits, vegetables, and quality proteins, although no foods are considered completely off limits. A points value of zero is assigned to over 200 healthy foods, making snack time a treat when choosing from this extensive list. Suggested foods include:
- Lean proteins such as skinless chicken, eggs, tofu, shellfish, and non-fat yogurt
- Vegetables and fruits such as broccoli, asparagus, greens, cauliflower, apples, and peppers
- Fresh, frozen, and unsweetened canned fruit
- Healthy carbs like sweet potatoes, brown rice, oatmeal, beans, and whole grains products
- Healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, and nuts
While most foods have a points value, the consumption of processed and unhealthy foods is advised against. The suggestion of program developers is to consume high amounts of quality proteins and fewer starchy and sugary foods. Foods that are discouraged are:
- Sugary drinks, alcohol, beverages with empty calories
- Potato chips, French fries, fried foods
- Processed meats
- Cakes, cookies, and other sweets
The occasional treat won’t derail your progress, but looking long term, you’ll want to develop healthier habits that you can stick with in the future to maintain lasting results.
No time to track points? Try the frozen line
Weight tracking made easy
Support and accountability systems
Taking your weight loss even further is easy with a number of online forums and even meet up groups for those who need a little extra accountability. Simply input your zip code into the “meetings finder” option and see a list of available meeting dates and times in your area.
Having a personal coach for other programs seems a little unattainable, but with weight-watchers online plus, you can be assigned a personal accountability coach to walk you through your customized program step by step. A unique aspect of this program is the fact that each accountability coach has personally enrolled in the program at one point with the goal of losing weight and has succeeded. They use their personal experience and the enthusiasm of their goal achievement to help fuel your passion for pursuing your own health and fitness goals.
Access to customized coaching
Superior customer service
Pros of Weight Watchers:
1. There is no “junk science” or “magic cure” that promises to fix your body unrealistically.
The plan uses real food and realistic goals for lasting results. That might be why it has been successful for over 40 years.
2. Social aspects of the program can help a person stay on track.
3. The program focuses on flexibility rather than restriction.
Cons of Weight-Watchers:
1. Lack of specific choices may not work for everyone.
2. Weight regain is a risk.
3. Coaches, not nutritional professionals and doctors, facilitate the plan.
Final Thoughts on Giving Weight Watchers a Try