Wise people often say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and these quotes on beauty help explain why. Everyone is different, both physically and mentally. Different things resonate with different people, and there is no sure definition of beauty.
What one person finds beautiful, another person may find hideous. Beauty is also normally a reflection of what a person feels inside. So, things that don’t reflect who they are may not seem beautiful to them, while things that do will be beautiful.
People tend to find beauty in things that align with their souls. When someone makes them feel alive and awakens their spirit, they will think that person is beautiful. To further explain why beauty is in the eye of the beholder, read these quotes on beauty.
Fifteen Quotes on Beauty Remind Us That It Is in the Eye of the Beholder
Remember these quotes, so you can see the beauty all around you.
1. “Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them, and each mind perceives a different beauty.” – David Hume
As Hume explains, each mind views beauty differently. No one can say what truly qualifies as beauty because everyone finds beauty in different things.
2. “Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart.” – Khalil Gibran
Only those who see the light in your heart can truly love you. No matter how someone portrays you physically, true beauty comes from within. So, if you want someone to think you are beautiful, make sure you show them the good in your heart.
3. “She was beautiful, but not like those girls in the magazines. She was beautiful for the way she thought. She was beautiful for the sparkle in her eyes when she talked about something she loved. She was beautiful, for her ability to make other people smile, even if she was sad. No, she wasn’t beautiful for something as temporary as her looks. She was beautiful, deep down to her soul. She is beautiful.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
Everyone thinks differently and loves different things, and this is where much of their beauty lies. Behavior and attitude also contribute to beauty.
This is why beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Since beauty is different for everyone, people will recognize beauty only when it aligns with their soul.
4. “I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder.” – Salma Hayek
With all of these quotes on beauty explains why it’s in the eye of the beholder, this quote is important. You can’t only think about what beauty means to others. When it comes down to it, you determine what beauty is, and no one can change that.
5. “The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mode, but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows. The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.” – Audrey Hepburn
Those that you show love to and those who see your passion are the ones that will find you beautiful. When you allow people to see your soul, they will see the beauty within. Even still, not everyone will find you beautiful, but the right people will.
6. “Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical.” – Sophia Loren
One of the many reasons beauty is in the beholder’s eye is that it is what is inside of you. Each person is different, and you won’t always attract everyone else. You will only attract those who see the inner beauty that is reflected in your eyes.
7. “Beauty is not who you are on the outside; it is the wisdom and time you gave away to save another struggling soul like you.” – Shannon Alder
When you help others, your beauty will be evident. The person or people you helped will see the beauty you carry within. Plus, those who witness the kindness will see the beauty.
When people see that you are genuinely kind, their image of you will be more positive. Plus, when they see you are willing to give others wisdom and time, their image of you may change for the better. The way people see you behave will have an impact on the beauty they see in you.
8. “The value is always in the eye of the beholder. What is worthless to one person may be very important to someone else.” – Peter Ackroyd
Since everyone sees things differently, the definition of beauty is different for everyone, as well. What one person sees no beauty in, another may think is the most beautiful thing.
9. “Some of us teach ourselves and our children to love the superficial outer; our looks, hair, skin, clothes rather than the greater beauty that resides within whereas it is that inner beauty that really defines you and who you truly are.” – Rassool Jibraeel Snyman
The reason superficial beauty doesn’t appeal to everyone is that true beauty comes from within. Being a good person and treating others with kindness will make you more beautiful.
10. “There is a road from the eye to the heart that does not go through the intellect.” – G.K. Chesterton
It is on the road that Chesterton describes that you will find beauty. When someone speaks to your soul, you will see the beauty in them without thinking about their physical appearance. You will see them and immediately feel it in your heart.
11. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Other people may not see your beauty, but that shouldn’t matter. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you should be the beholder who decides it for yourself. Everyone won’t ever accept you, so your ultimate goal should be to find yourself beautiful.
12. “We turn outward, attracted by the beauty we see in created things, without realizing that they are only a reflection of the real beauty. And the real beauty is within us.” – Ernesto Cardenal
People find beauty in things that reflect who they are internally. The things that speak to your soul and make you feel alive are the things you will find beautiful. This is why beauty is in the eye of the beholder because everyone finds beauty from what they feel inside.
13. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
If someone can recover from their hardships, they will be more beautiful to everyone who encounters them. This is because they have developed an appreciation for life and are more compassionate, gentle, and loving. These characteristics will help their beauty shine through for the world to see.