There are many quotes about best friends that describe a true friend-for-life or explain real friendships. These quotes can make you smile thinking of your best friend. They can also offer advice on friendships.
These are also good quotes to share with your best friend. When you find one that relates to your relationship, don’t keep it to yourself. If you loved it, chances are they will, too.
Whether friendship is new or old, there are quotes about best friends to apply to all. Friendships are special and should be treated that way, as many of these quotes explain.
15 Quotes About Best Friends
1. “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Your true friends will always enrich your life. But most of all, their constant presence in times of trouble make them part of your soul. Those who stay by your side through thick and think will be the ones who make the longest-lasting impression through this lifetime and the next.
2. “Throughout life, you will meet one person who is like no other. You could talk to this person for hours and never get bored, you could tell this person things and they will never judge you. This person is your soulmate, your best friend. Don’t ever let them go.” – Unknown
When you find your soulmate, it may not be your significant other. Your soulmate could be your best friend. Not everyone is lucky enough to find a best friend like that, so if you do, keep them around.
You’ll know your best friend is your soulmate when you never get tired of talking to them. Plus, you can tell them anything and not have to worry about judgment.
3. “That’s when I realized what a true friend was. Someone who would always love you – the imperfect you, the confused you, the wrong you – because that is what people are supposed to do.” – R. J. L.
A friend doesn’t judge you and doesn’t give up on you when you aren’t perfect. They love you through all of the hard times. When you have someone like this in your life, you never have to worry about the friendship ending.
4. “One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.” – Clifton Fadiman
When you are such good friends with someone, they’ll know all of the stories you normally tell. They know the interesting facts and quirks about you already. Plus, they know some of the intimate details most people don’t know.
When this is the case, you may not have as many things to talk about. Or, on the other hand, maybe it’ll give you more to talk about. Either way, if you’re at this point in a friendship, you can likely consider the person a true best friend.
5. “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
The people who are true to you are the ones who are around when there isn’t luxury or excitement. When you’re in a tough position, a real friend will be there with you despite the circumstances.
Remember, as Oprah explains, many people will be there for the great times. You can’t call these people your best friends, as a best friend is there for the rest, too.
6. “I think if I’ve learned anything about friendship, it’s to hang in, stay connected, fight for them, and let them fight for you. Don’t walk away, don’t be distracted, don’t be too busy or tired, don’t take them for granted. Friends are part of the glue that holds life and faith together. Powerful stuff.” – Jon Katz
Like all relationships, friendships aren’t always easy. People get angry, annoyed, disconnected, and many other emotions. Even though this may make things tough, you should still make the relationship a priority.
When things get hard, work hard to make them work. Don’t give up on having an amazing friend because things got tough. Fight for the friendship and make sure to always be there for each other.
7. “The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing… not healing, not curing… that is a friend who cares.” – Henri Nouwen
You will encounter people in life who aren’t comfortable with hard moments. The way these people will want to help is by doing something. Sometimes, though, there is nothing that they can do, so they leave.
A best friend will still be there, however, even when there is nothing they can do. They’ll be there to support you, comfort you, and just sit silently with you. As Nouwen stated, the friend who cares is the one who sits with you even when they can’t do anything.
8. “There are three things that grow more precious with age; old wood to burn, old books to read, and old friends to enjoy.” – Henry Ford
The longer your friendship continues, the more precious it becomes. When people can grow together in that way, there is a deeper level of understanding and love.
All friendships are precious, but the ones that have survived all the unexpected changes in life are even more so. If you want a friendship to reach that point, take care of it so that it doesn’t get ruined.
9. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.” – Walter Winchell
When life gets tough, people tend to walk away to escape the hardships. You may notice that close friends become distant or completely absent. Pay attention to who disappears and who stays by your side when things aren’t perfect.
The friends who stick around through those times are the best ones to have. They are the people who will help you or just be there for you when you need someone.
10. “Best friends don’t necessarily have to talk every day. They don’t even need to talk for weeks. But when they do, it’s like they never stopped talking.” – Unknown
While it is important to nurture a friendship and be there for the other person, sometimes like gets busy. Real best friends know where they stand with one another. No matter how much time passes since they’ve seen each other or spoken, they are still best friends.
Even if they haven’t talked for a while, they’ll pick up where they left off. When you’re in this type of friendship, you’ll find comfort knowing someone who loves you is just a call away.
11. “Every friendship goes through ups and downs. Dysfunctional patterns set in; external situations cause internal friction; you grow apart and then bounce back together.” – Mariella Frostrup
No relationship is perfect, not even a friendship. Someone will inevitably offend or upset the other friend, and conflict will set in. When this happens, you have to let go of the negative feelings so that the friendship can rebound.
12. “When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.” – Henri Nouwen
Good friends will sit with you in silence when the time is right. They don’t always feel the need to be doing something or talking. The best friendships are the ones where silence is comfortable and just being near each other is comforting.
13. “Growing apart doesn’t change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I’m glad for that.” – Ally Condie
When you were friends with someone for a long time, they impact your life is every possible way. Even if you part ways, that friend will always be a part of you. When two people grow together, they’re always together in that way, as Condie explains in her quote.
14. “Friendship — my definition — is built on two things. Respect and trust. Both elements have to be there. And it has to be mutual. You can have respect for someone, but if you don’t have trust, the friendship will crumble.” – Stieg Larsson
Oftentimes, respect, and trust have to be earned. For a real friendship, both of those things must be present. If you can’t trust someone or respect them, then there is no real friendship happening.
If you have anyone in your life that you think that way of, it is time to rethink the friendship. Only focus on the relationships that you have faith in.
15. “Friendship is a strong and habitual inclination in two persons to promote the good and happiness of one another.” – Eustace Budgell
In a friendship, both people should always want to help the other person become better. Whether this is through working hard, correcting character flaws, or even just being happy, friends want that for one another.
These quotes about best friends are ones that you should remember forever. Whether you need friendship advice or a way to explain the friendship, these are good ones to refer to.
Friendships are special, but they aren’t always easy. Even the best ones go through rough patches, as some of the authors of quotes about best friends pointed out.
Remember these quotes and the way your friend positively impacts your life. If you do that, you’ll be able to continue your friendship forever.