These quotes about being happy can help you find joy even during challenging times. In life, we inevitably face hardships and obstacles along the way. Finding a way to be happy during these hard times can significantly improve your life and overall wellbeing.
Being happy will allow you to live a fulfilling life that you love. You will enjoy what you do each day and be less stressed. Plus, studies published by the National Institutes of Health show that happiness leads to a longer life.
When you can learn to be happy during challenging times, your life will change for the better. You will become more resilient and better able to handle stress. This will also allow you to make better decisions and think more clearly.
Fifteen Uplifting Quotes About Being Happy During Challenging Times
Your happiness affects all areas of your life, from your health to your mental abilities. Remember these quotes about being happy even when facing challenges, and you’re sure to notice the difference.
1. “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” – Randy Pausch
Don’t view challenges as an inconvenience. Instead, think of them the way that Pausch does. The obstacles are there to weed out those who don’t truly want to reach the goal. Those obstacles, or brick walls, stop the people who aren’t willing to work hard. This is what will set you apart from the other people. You were the one willing to find a way around the obstacle.
2. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller
There is always something in life to be happy about. If something bad happens, look away and find the other door. By embracing the good that is coming, you’ll always be happy.
Always think of one thing you are looking forward to. If you don’t have anything big planned, you could look forward to a hot shower at the end of your day. You can find happiness by simply looking for the open door of happiness, even if you have to open it yourself.
3. “We can’t control the world. We can only (barely) control our own reactions to it. Happiness is largely a choice, not a right or entitlement.” – David C. Hill
As Hill explains, you can control the world or what happens in it. You can only control yourself and your reactions, and sometimes even that is hard. So, instead of feeling negative, decide to be happy in all moments. Look for the good in seemingly bad moments, and count your blessings as often as you can.
4. “In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy.” – Albert Clarke
Happiness must come from gratefulness. Be thankful for what you have and show your love for those who are important to you. When you do this all of the time, you’ll find happiness.
5. “It is not in the still calm of life, or the repose of a pacific station, that great characters are formed. The habits of a vigorous mind are formed in contending with difficulties.” – Abigail Adams
Every great person has to go through challenges to become who they are. These hardships will help develop your character and make you stronger as you go through it. Remember this, and it will help you stay happy as you work through the challenge.
6. “The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature, and God. As long as this exists, and it certainly always will, then there will be comfort for every sorrow, whatever the circumstances may be.” – Anne Frank
Fresh air and nature are sure ways to boost your spirits. When you are going through a hard time, spend more time outside in a quiet place. Bask in the world around you, and you will find comfort and joy.
7. “Focused will is incredible. If you have a dream and you don’t give up no matter what obstacles come up, then life’s problems will fall away, and you will get what you want. It happens. It works.” – Yanni
You can’t give up in the face of an obstacle or hardship. Keep pushing and working toward your goals. When you do this, the challenges will disappear, and you’ll be happier.
8. “There is only one way to happiness, and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.” – Epictetus
When you can’t change something, stop worrying about it. If you continue to stress and worry over things you have no control of, you won’t be able to find happiness. Learn to let go and move on so you can be happy.
9. “Our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
If you want to be happy, you have to be willing to adapt. You have to stay alert and notice what is going on around you, and you have to live with an open mind. Being happy means, you have to be open to change and learning new things unexpectedly.
10. “In our lives, change is unavoidable, loss is unavoidable. In the adaptability and ease with which we experience change, lies our happiness and freedom.” – Buddha
Bad things happen, and changes occur unexpectedly. Even so, you must learn to adapt easily and move forward so that you can be happy.
11. “Expect obstacles and face them head-on. They are going to come up, so the way you handle them is what makes all the difference.” – Lance Dale
As stated before, challenges in life are unavoidable. The only thing that makes a difference is how you approach and handle the challenge. If you handle it positively, you’ll be happy.
12. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” – Frederick Keonig
You can’t become happy by getting something new. Instead, you can only be happy when you are grateful for what you already have. Acknowledge the good things in your life and show your gratitude as often as you can.
13. “Look at a day when you are supremely satisfied at the end. It’s not a day when you lounge around doing nothing; it’s a day you’ve had everything to do, and you’ve done it.” – Margaret Thatcher
While spending a day relaxing is always welcomed, it’s not going to make you happy if you do it often. The days that make you happy are the ones where you were doing things and moving forward. So, even when you feel down and like giving up, you have to keep moving to be happy.
14. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” – Carl Jung
Bad things happen to everyone, and it’s necessary to deal with if you want to experience happiness. If you never encountered hardship, you would never know how great the good things are. Only with this comparison can you recognize true happiness.
15. “Smiling is a wonderful way to get a boost of happiness. The next time life presents you with a challenging situation, take a deep breath and smile.” – Morris Pratt
When you smile, your mood will improve. Whether it is a fake smile or a real one, it can make you happier.
When you encounter a challenge, put a smile on your face and keep it there. It’ll help you get through the problem without losing your happiness.
Challenges are expected in life, but these quotes about being happy even when facing a challenge can help. It is possible to remain happy when things are going the way you had hoped. Life can’t always be perfect, so you have to roll with these hard times and keep your wellbeing intact.
The next time you are facing a challenge, remember these quotes about being happy. Keep a smile on your face and look for the good in each moment. Show your gratitude for what you have, and be thankful always.