Everyone experiences hard times, and you may find yourself in need of help to boost your mood. No one else can make you happy if you aren’t prepared to be happy. You are responsible for your mood, and these quotes will help you get in the right mindset.
You can’t guarantee joy by reaching goals or making more money. Likewise, you can’t expect life to be perfect all the time. Even so, you can be happy during hard times if you know to focus your thoughts on the good things.
Sometimes you may need more help to boost your mood. When that is the case, remember these quotes, and it’ll help you get your thoughts under control.
Quotes When You Need to Boost Your Mood
Read these quotes on days you feel down–it always helps to read affirmations and quotes to boost your mood!
1. “Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
When you need to boost your mood, spend time making another person happy. When you make someone else happy, it will make you happy, too. Spend your time thinking of ways to help others and make them happy, and see how you feel in return.
2. “There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort.” – Charlotte Brontë
If you are struggling to be happy, look at the people in your life. There is no greater blessing than having people who love you. Plus, knowing that you bring them joy and comfort will help you be happier.
3. “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.” – Andrew Carnegie
By finding something to focus on, you’ll help yourself get past the gloom. Find something that you can pour your energy into and give yourself hope for something better. When you do this, it’ll take your mind off what is bothering you and get you thinking about something positive.
4. “No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.” – Barbara DeAngelis
As DeAngelis explains, you are the only one who can control how happy or unhappy you are. If you aren’t happy, figure out what you need to change to be happy. Then, make sure you make the necessary changes.
5. “I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead. Tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” – Groucho Marx
Nothing that happens can ruin your mood because you get to decide what your mood will be like. You can’t change anything that happened in the past, and you can’t control what might happen tomorrow. So, focus on today and find things (no matter how small) that make you happy.
6. “Just because you are happy it does not mean that the day is perfect but that you have looked beyond its imperfections” – Bob Marley
Being happy doesn’t mean everything went as planned. Instead, it means that you have decided to be happy and decided to look beyond what went wrong. You are who brings your joy, so it’s about fixating on what makes you happy instead of what upsets you.
7. “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity.” – Carl Jung
There will always be dark times and imperfect events in your life. These times are meant to make the good times even better. If you had nothing to compare the good times to, they wouldn’t be as great or make you as happy.
8. “Whether you choose to move on from your struggles and enjoy life or waddle in your misery, life will continue.” – Germany Kent
The choice to be happy is entirely up to you, as Kent explains. You can choose to let go of the hard times and make yourself happy again. Or, you can choose to stay in the midst of what is upsetting you.
9. “If someone bases his/her happiness on major events like a great job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage, or a trip to Paris, that person isn’t going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness.” – Andy Rooney
Life will never be perfect, and the sooner you accept it, the happier you will be. If you are only happy when life is perfect, you will often experience misery. Instead, find joy in the little things in life, and you’ll find yourself happy more often.
10. “Happiness doesn’t come from achievements, or money, or any sort of treasure. Happiness is a frame of mind, not a destination. It’s appreciating what you’ve got and building relationships with those around you.” – Janette Rallison
No matter what you achieve or receive in life, it won’t determine if you are happy or not. If you look at the relationships you have and put your energy into those, you’ll be happier. Plus, if you can appreciate what you already have, you’ll be happy, too.
11. “So, we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” – Hunter S. Thompson
Going through the rough times and reaching your goal will make you happier than if you just watched. You can choose an easy life and never find joy, or you can work through the hardships and find it. It’s all about what you are willing to put into your life.
12. “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” – Martha Washington
You can go through hardships and unexpected obstacles and still be happy. The thing that determines how happy you can be is your mind and thoughts. If you can convince yourself to be happy when things are hard, you’ll be even happier when they are easy.
13. “If you look to others for fulfillment, you will never be fulfilled. If your happiness depends on money, you will never be happy with yourself. Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
Other people cannot determine your levels of joy or comfort. Likewise, you can’t depend on money to make you happy.
Instead, you have to be happy with what you have already. Only then can you boost your mood and move on from the hard times. Stop telling yourself that you lack things in life, too, because that can affect how happy you are.
14. “Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be.” – Shonda Rhimes
You have to live the way you want and need to, or you won’t be happy. If you are living for someone or something other than yourself, you are setting yourself up for unhappiness.
15. “True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future, not to amuse ourselves with either hopes or fears but to rest satisfied with what we have, which is sufficient, for he that is so wants nothing. The greatest blessings of mankind are within us and within our reach. A wise man is content with his lot, whatever it may be, without wishing for what he has not.” – Seneca
Live in the moment and find something to be happy about in all instances. Avoid becoming anxious about what will happen in the future or hoping for more. If you can be content with what you presently have, you’ll be able to boost your mood more quickly.
As these quotes for when you need to boost your mood to explain, it is up to you to be happy. It is all about your mindset and what you fixate your thoughts on. If you can always find something small to be happy about, you will experience more joy and comfort.
When your thoughts are negative, remind yourself of these quotes to boost your mood. Remember to put your energy into something positive and into the relationships you already have. Then, you will be sure to be happier.