Everyone experiences adversity in life. You can’t let this stop you from reaching your goals, however, so you have to persevere. It’s essential to overcome these struggles and keep working toward what you want.
The tremendous success will come after you overcome unexpected challenges, so it’s essential to work through it. It may help to remember that obstacles will make you stronger and more victorious. They are helping to shape your character, which can’t be done when everything is easy.
The obstacles are shaping you into the person you need to be later on, and they are setting you up for other challenges to come. Use them as learning opportunities so that you can do better the next time it happens. Since it can be hard to motivate yourself when obstacles arise, you may need some help.
Fifteen Quotes About Overcoming Adversity
These quotes are pick-me-ups that will help you overcome adversity and hardship. If you can remember the selections during the most challenging times, you’ll be able to push through and reach your goals.
1. “There is no better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.” – Malcolm X
You wouldn’t be able to grow if you didn’t have to face hard times. When you overcome the problem, you’ll only be more ready the next time. While defeat, heartbreak, and loss aren’t pleasant or desirable, they will lead to better things and better-developed character.
2. “Just as we develop our physical muscles through overcoming opposition – such as lifting weights – we develop our character muscles by overcoming challenges and adversity.” – Stephen Covey
Everything in life takes work. Those who want to gain muscle know they must workout, and they fight through the pain and discomfort. Achieving and developing character requires the same type of perseverance.
To develop positively, you have to be faced with growing opportunities, new obstacles, and unexpected problems. Only then will you reach your full potential and be ready for the next step. Remember that each hardship is only preparing you for more extraordinary things to come.
3. “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.” – Booker T. Washington
If someone has had an easy life, their position isn’t as impressive. When someone has had to fight to reach their place, however, you know they’ve achieved a great success. Despite any setbacks, they continued to persevere to reach their goals.
4. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
Struggles happen, and they may seem to happen one after the other. Even so, you have to keep moving forward and looking for new ways to reach your goals. Only then will you be accomplished.
When it seems that there is no hope you have to keep going, as Carnegie explained. You can get through anything and, if you remember that, nothing will stop you.
5. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” – Walt Disney
Each hardship you encounter makes you a stronger person. This makes even more remarkable achievements possible, and it develops character in ways nothing else can. While it may be difficult to see at the time, challenges are beneficial.
6. “Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.” – Scott Hamilton
To develop character, you have to face challenges. The way you react and handle the problems will be the determining factor in the outcome. When you persevere in challenging times, you’ll value yourself more and be able to reach all of your goals.
7. “The journey is never-ending. There’s always gonna be growth, improvement, adversity; you just gotta take it all in and do what’s right, continue to grow, continue to live in the moment.” – Antonio Brown
As long as you are moving forward in life, you will face unexpected and unavoidable obstacles. You have to keep growing and improving, no matter what happens along the way.
Take each moment as it comes and continues working through the struggles. They won’t last forever, and you will see the benefits once you’ve made it through.
8. “Goals give you a mark to shoot for and keep you motivated when you face adversity.” – Benjamin Watson
You have to set goals for yourself if you plan to reach success. If you don’t have goals, you’ll never be motivated enough to fight through obstacles. Set short-term and long-term goals for yourself, and continue checking your progress as you work towards them.
9. “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” – Haruki Murakami
Going through unexpected hardships is difficult, and it will change you. The change that you experience will be for the better, and you’ll develop strength, determination, and self-worth. Looking back, you won’t be sure how you did it, but remember that you’re a better person because of it.
10. “Any man can win when things go his way. It’s the man who overcomes adversity that is the true champion.” – Jock Ewing
When an achievement comes easy, it’s not striking or impressive. On the other hand, if an achievement comes after difficult obstacles, it’s much more meaningful. Keep moving and fighting through the challenges so you can experience the joy of great success.
11. “You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.” – Michelle Obama
Embrace the struggles that come your way and remember that you are growing because of them. They will help you become a better person as you find a way through the obstacles. These moments will be the most incredible feats of your life.
12. “Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.” – Joseph Campbell
You have to apply yourself more when you are overcoming challenges. These are the times when you can prove to yourself what you are capable of. Once you see what you can do, your dreams may get even more significant.
13. “In our personal and professional lives, we are constantly hit with one adversity after the other, most of which we have no control over. But the four things we have total control over is how we react, how we adapt, how we breathe, and how we take action.” – Diamond Dallas Page
Unexpected challenges happen in all aspects of life, no matter how much you prepare to avoid them. When you react and adapt positively, you’ll be able to overcome them. Take a deep breath and persevere so you can get past it.
14. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou
Even with hardships and obstacles being thrown in your path, you can’t let them defeat you. As Angelou explains, these challenges will show you who you indeed are and what you are capable of. You can rise from any defeat and will only be better because of it.
15. “Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” – Roy T. Bennett
The challenges you encounter are helping you grow and be a better person. When you get through them, your achievements will seem even more extraordinary than if they had been easy to reach. Looking back, these hard times are what will lead to your most important moments.
Adversity is a part of life, no matter what you do to try and avoid it. Overcoming obstacles will shape you into a better person and make you prouder of your achievements. It will show you what you are capable of and give you the motivation to do even bigger things.
While struggles aren’t desired, you can’t let them defeat you and hold you back. As long as you persevere and find ways to overcome, you will be successful and robust.