To be successful in life, you must always exhibit perseverance. This means that you have to continue to do something, even if it is difficult or taking longer than expected. If you don’t persevere, you will never reach your goals or show yourself what you can do.
Everyone experiences times when they would rather give up than keep trying for something. At the moment, it may be easy to decide not to keep trying. When you give in to this feeling, however, you are only holding yourself back.
These quotes about perseverance to motivate success will help you through those times. They will remind you why you can’t give up. You never know how close you are to success, so remember these quotes when you’re having a hard time.
Fifteen Quotes About Perseverance
1. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will.” – Vince Lombardi
Anyone can be strong and knowledgeable, but it doesn’t always lead to success. The one thing that does always lead to success is will power. You must keep trying and keep working toward your goal, and only then will you find it.
2. “It’s good to remember that success may be just beyond the next failure, and you’ll get there, not because you’re destined to, but because you’re determined to.” – Steve Goodier
Everyone fails sometimes. Failure is inevitable and often happens many times. If you give up when you fail, you’ll never know how close you were to success.
No destiny alone can lead to success, because perseverance is the only sure path. You have to keep trying, no matter how many times you fail. This could be the time you reach your goal, so giving up could cause you to miss your big break.
3. “True winners remain winners because they truly believe that challenges, struggles, and obstacles can all lead to big blessings through persistence and perseverance.” – Edmond Mbiaka
When you view your obstacles and challenges as things leading you to your goal, you’ll experience more success. Each time you struggle or fail, it means you are learning and growing. When these obstacles are met with persistence, they will lead you to great things.
4. “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful men keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” – Conrad Hilton
To achieve your goals, you have to keep moving and stay active. Even the most prospering men make mistakes and fail sometimes. The important thing is that they don’t quit, which is what leads them to achieve their goals.
5. “You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.” – Maya Angelou
No matter how many obstacles or failures you encounter, you cannot let them defeat you. All of the challenges are there to help you get to know yourself. Then, you’ll know that you can rise again and reach your goals despite the hardships.
6. “If his decision is correct, he will win the battle, even if it lasts longer than expected. If his decision is wrong, he will be defeated and he will have to start all over again–only this time with more wisdom. But once he has started, a warrior of the light perseveres until the end.” – Paulo Coelho
Even if the decision you made didn’t work and you have to begin again, you will have learned something. Through this gained knowledge, you will be able to do it differently next time. Each time you make a different decision, you will be learning what works and what doesn’t.
By eliminating the ideas that don’t work, you will be one step closer to success. Keep trying and eventually, you will succeed. Even if it takes longer than you had planned, you will have won.
7. “Perseverance is a great element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The more you try, the closer you will get to success. As Wadsworth Longfellow explains, if you keep working at it, you will eventually achieve your goal.
The amount of time it takes for you to do something isn’t important. What is important is that you persevered and found success.
8. “I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed: and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying.” – Tom Hopkins
Your successes are what people will ultimately remember, not your failures. Oftentimes, as Hopkins explains, success follows failure. So, if you give up every time something didn’t work out, you are missing out on many opportunities.
9. “Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless.” – Scott Hamilton
Working through challenging times can help you understand how valuable you are. It’ll give you self-esteem because you know that you can do anything.
The only way you can achieve this place in life, however, is by continuing to persevere. Show yourself what you are worth and that you can rise above any challenge that comes your way.
10. “Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost legendary. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Perseverance and determination alone are omnipotent.” – Calvin Coolidge
Talent, being a genius, and education will not lead you to success. Even people with the best of those qualities are unsuccessful if they gave up after a failure. Since the failure happens to everyone, only those who persevere and try again will end up reaching their goals.
11. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
Even when it seems like you’ll never succeed, you have to keep going. Only then can you do all of the great things you set out to do. Don’t give in to challenges and defeat, instead choose to persevere and keep trying.
12. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained.” – Marie Curie
As explained before, everyone struggles when they are trying to reach success. Believe in yourself and keep trying, and then you can achieve all your goals. You have to remind yourself that you need to keep going until you succeed, no matter how long it takes.
13. “You aren’t going to find anybody that’s going to be successful without making a sacrifice and without perseverance.” – Lou Holtz
Every achieving person has had to make sacrifices, and you are no different. That sacrifice might mean you have to change your plan after a failed attempt. Or, it could mean you have to give something up, like sleeping in or staying out late.
By sacrificing and persevering, you’ll be sure to reach your goals. It shows that you are passionate about your goals, and your will to persevere will ensure your achievement.
14. “Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Winning doesn’t teach you anything. Only struggling and failing will teach you what doesn’t work.
Likewise, winning doesn’t develop your strength. Facing obstacles and choosing not to give up is what will develop your strength.
15. “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” – Tony Robbins
If you want to control the direction your life is going in, you have to control your actions. The things that you consistently do are the things that determine your path.