Feeling disappointed is an unfortunate problem that happens to everyone. Since there is no way to avoid it, the only thing to do is learn to live with it. By not coping with the problem, this feeling can lead to frustration and even anger.
Since you most likely feel like you’re can’t control the situation, a feeling of helplessness may come next. When you begin to feel disappointed, you should try to cope with it and accept it quickly. This acceptance can prevent all of those feelings that may follow if you cave to the disappointment.
One way to cope with disappointment is to read quotes. There are many quotes for when you feel disappointed. No matter the situation, you should find some comfort in them.
Quotes can help you learn to accept whatever it is that happened. If you can’t take it, they can help you feel like you’re not alone. Feeling disappointed happens to everyone, and these quotes can help you get through it.
15 Quotes For When You Feel Disappointed
1. “You will end up really disappointed if you think people will do for you as you do for them. Not everyone has the same heart as you.” – Unknown
Never expect anyone to be like you are. You have your own heart. Remember that before the disappointment sets in.
Just because you would do something for someone or have already done it, doesn’t mean you can expect the same in return. If you remember this, you can avoid some disappointment in your life. That also means if the same person keeps causing disappointment, you should reassess having that person in your life.
2. “It was one of those times you feel a sense of loss, even though you didn’t have something in the first place. I guess that’s what disappointment is- a sense of loss for something you never had.” – Deb Caletti, in the Nature of Jade
Disappointment is just grieving something you never had to begin with. If you think of it that way, it may help you get over it quicker. You lived without it so far. You can go a little longer.
So you can’t let what was never yours prevent you from living happily. Your goals are still there, and a slight detour shouldn’t stand in the way.
3. “One’s best success comes after their greatest disappointment.” – Henry Ward Beecher
As Beecher stated, sometimes not getting what you want right away is the best thing to happen. That just means that the next time you’ll have an even better chance at success. With the new determination, you’ll likely be stronger and even better equipped to deal with whatever life tosses your way.
4. “The best way to deal with disappointment is to acknowledge and work through the feelings it induces.” Noaman Kaysingwala, in How to Handle Disappointment in Life
Admit to yourself that you are feeling this way. The only way to get through it is to sort the feelings out and move on. If you pretend that the feelings aren’t there, you’re only setting back your coping timeframe.
5. “We deal with disappointing and depressing experiences each day of our lives. Rest assured that these difficult times are your opportunity to grow and to learn more advanced strategies in order to scale your next mountain more quickly.” – Michelle C. Ustaszeski, in Scaling Life’s Mountains
These feelings are inevitable. The only thing you can do is learn from them so that the next time you’re more prepared. This way, you won’t be disappointed the next time.
6. “Nothing in life has happened to you. It’s happened for you. Every disappointment. Every wrong. Even every closed door has helped make you into who you are.” – Joel Osteen
If one thing didn’t work out, something else will. Just keep trying and moving forward no matter what happens. Each disappointing feeling is only leading you to something better for you.
Instead of thinking that each setback is going against you, think of it as setting you up for something better. Everyone has a different story, and yours is still developing. Move forward and figure out how the story is supposed to go.
7. “The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way.” – Robert Kiyosaki
Not getting what you wanted doesn’t mean you failed. To handle disappointment in a graceful way shows how successful you are and will be. If your dream is as big as you’ve always thought, disappointment won’t stop it from becoming the reality one day.
8. “I’m sad, hurt, angry, mad, disappointed. But you know what? I will put on a happy face and move on. It will hurt but I will survive.” – Unknown
The only thing you should do in the face of disappointment is put a smile on your face and move on. You can have all those feelings, but the sooner you put that smile on, the sooner things will seem normal.
Remember, however, that you are allowed to feel all of those feelings. You just shouldn’t let them stand in the way of what happens next. Push through and use all of those emotions to be stronger next time.
You’ll feel better eventually, and you will survive whatever it was that disappointed you. Just remember that your journey is your story, and you can get through the disappointment.
9. “Life is all about setbacks. A life lived without disappointment is a life lived in a cocoon. People have recovered from far worse setbacks.” – Tony Clark
To reach your goals and get what you want out of life, you are going to face disappointment along the way. If you expect no disappointment, you’ll never be truly living your life. You’ll be okay, no matter if things work out the first time or not.
10. “Sometimes when you get disappointment it makes you stronger.” – David Rudisha
When you bounce back from disappointment, you’ll be stronger the next time. That means you’ll try harder and be more prepared. Get past the feeling and reassess what you’ll do next.
Remember that no one can become strong if they don’t push themselves. This is the same for disappointment and other negative feelings. You’ll be more resilient against them each time you overcome them.
11. “Life will throw many obstacles onto our life path that will make us sad or disappointed at times. Dealing positively with these obstacles is what makes the difference between them turning into worse states or being overcome.” – Jonny Oates, in Wisdom for My Son and Daughter
You have to overcome things that disappoint you in order to move forward in life. If you don’t move forward and get past it, you’ll just continue to be disappointed.
Each time you push through, it becomes easier the next time. There will come a time when feeling this way becomes less frequent.
12. “You may encounter many disappointments. Be strong. Tell yourself, “I am good enough, I will try again.” – Lailah Gifty Akita, in Pearls of Wisdom
You will face disappointments in life, but you are strong enough to get through it. The most important thing is to try again and remind yourself of your worth. No matter how many times the disappointments happen, know that you deserve all the good things you desire in life. As long as you know that, you’ll be just fine.
13. “As you work towards your goals, disappointments may slow you down, but they don’t have to keep you down.” – Catherine Pulsifer
Things happen, and plans may change a little. Don’t let a disappointment keep you from reaching your goals. Try a different way next time, or reassess the situation that is causing the feelings.
14. “Disappointment is just the action of your brain readjusting itself to reality after discovering things are not the way you thought they were.” – Brad Warner
It’s a feeling that can be shocking, but once you get used to it, it’ll feel a little better. You just have to adjust to the new situation and plan accordingly. When you thought something would go differently, it may take a while for your brain to reevaluate.
15. “Part of the challenge that comes with striving for success is how the entire journey comes with its own fair share of failures and disappointments.” Rupert Johnson, in Build for Success
You wouldn’t have much of a success story to tell if there were no disappointments to overcome along the way. The true measure of success is overcoming the hardships and reaching the goal anyway.
While disappointment happens to everyone, it can be overcome. Instead of letting the disappointing feelings overwhelm you, remember that you can get through it. While the plan may have to change, you can move forward regardless.
True success doesn’t mean it happened the first time. Instead, it means that you moved past the disappointment and conquered anyway.
These quotes to remember when you feel disappointed should help get through some of the hard times. Remember that you aren’t alone and that you can get through it.