There are motivational quotes out there for every situation, including quotes that inspire people with depression. These quotes are intended to give a little hope and courage to get through the hard times.
Quoted from people who understand being depressed and the accompanying mindset, these quotes can help and encourage.
If you find yourself struggling with depression or know someone who is, then read these quotes that inspire. Once you’ve read them, you can pass them along to others.
Quotes That Inspire People with Depression
Read on, we hope these quotes that inspire will help you beat your depression.
1. “A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl.” – Stephan Hoeller
Even when life is hard and you feel injured or depressed, there can still be beauty in all of it. Like a pearl, life becomes beautiful through all of the hardships. It’s impossible to know how much to treasure life and enjoy the beautiful things if you’ve never experienced the rough parts.
2. “Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” – Richard L. Evans
Thing positively, because if you feel like you are at your lowest, it can only get better. Everyone has to begin somewhere, so begin now, and you’re on the right track.
3. “Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” – Brooke Davis
Life isn’t always perfect, but you can make it through anything. Once you get to the other side, you’ll see what a survivor you are.
4. “Work hard for what you want because it won’t come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive.” – Leah LaBelle
If life was easy, everyone would be exactly where they want to be. Instead, you have to fight for what you want, no matter how hard that fight gets. You can do it by believing in yourself and positively using criticism.
5. “When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place.” – Unknown
What or who do you love in life? Think about those things and remind yourself why you need to pull yourself out of the darkness.
6. “There are moments when I wish I could roll back the clock and take all the sadness away, but I have the feeling that if I did, the joy would be gone as well.” – Nicholas Sparks
Each moment, good or bad, is part of your story. By taking it away, the entire story will change. That means that the happy moments may become less than what they were.
7. “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your imperfections but instantly set about remedying them — every day begin the task anew.” – Saint Francis de Sales
Each day is new, which means a new chance to fix your imperfections. It takes time, so be patient and give yourself some grace.
8. “When you are depressed, you need the love of other people, and yet depression fosters actions that destroy that love. Depressed people often stick pins into their life rafts. The conscious mind can intervene. One is not helpless.” – Andrew Solomon
Why push people away when their love would help you? While it may be tempting, fight that urge. Be around those you love and who love you in return, and you’ll bounce back quicker than you thought.
9. “A positive attitude gives you power over your circumstances instead of your circumstances having power over you.” – Joyce Meyer
By letting being depressed, keep you from doing things, you’re letting it win. You’re allowing it to control you when it should be the other way around. Force yourself to put one foot in front of the other and, by doing so, you’ll be controlling the depression.
10. “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
When it comes to being depressed, the biggest battle is taking the first step. To beat it, you must take that step because that is when your path to happiness will begin.
11. “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning, and you think, I’m not going to make it, but you laugh inside – remembering all the times you’ve felt that way.” – Charles Bukowski
So far, you’ve made it through everything that has come your way. Keep that routine going because every time you felt like you couldn’t go on, you did. You’ll feel better when you get moving and see that life can go on.
12. “Never react emotionally to criticism. Analyze yourself to determine whether it is justified. If it is, correct yourself. Otherwise, go on about your business.” – Norman Vincent Peale
Instead of letting criticism ruin your emotions, decide if the criticism was deserved. If it was deserved, the only way to better yourself is by making changes. Otherwise, if it wasn’t deserved, ignore it and move on.
13. “Listen to the people who love you. Believe that they are worth living for even when you don’t believe it. Seek out the memories depression takes away and project them into the future. Be brave; be strong; take your pills. Exercise because it’s good for you, even if every step weighs a thousand pounds. Eat when food itself disgusts you. Reason with yourself when you have lost your reason.” – Andrew Solomon
When people tell you that they want you in their lives, believe them. Stick around because having people who love you is enough to keep you here. Do what is necessary and follow a doctor’s orders to break through the depressed state.
14. “What you thought before has led to every choice you have made, and this adds up to you at this moment. If you want to change who you are physically, mentally, and spiritually, you will have to change what you think.” – Dr. Patrick Gentempo
By changing your way of thinking, you may be able to get through it more quickly. Think about the things that are best for you and do them. You’ll quickly see a change in yourself.
15. “In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
Even in the darkest days, happiness can be found inside. It’s all about looking inside of yourself to find the good and choosing that over the negativity.
16. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Always keep the hope that things will get better. It’s easier to get through the hard times when you consistently remind yourself that the next day might be better.
17. “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” – Lance Armstrong
By continuing to move forward amidst a time of hardship, you’re setting yourself up to heal from pain. If you give up, however, the opposite happens. Keep moving and healing so that the pain can’t last forever.
18. “In times of pain, when the future is too terrifying to contemplate and the past too painful to remember, I have learned to pay attention to right now. The precise moment I was in was always the only safe place for me.” – Julia Cameron
If you’re struggling when remembering the past, or when the future is too much to wrap your head around, just think about the present. Focus on what is right in front of you, no matter how mundane. It gives you something immediate to focus your thoughts on, rather than torturing yourself with things you can’t control.
19. “Give yourself another day, another chance. You will find your courage eventually. Don’t give up on yourself just yet.” – Unknown
There is always a new opportunity, so give yourself a chance to find yours. Giving up will never get your there, but courage will.
20. “Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
Bad things happen; it’s just a part of life. Getting through the suffering, though, leads to profound happiness. You can overcome any type of suffering if you put your mind to it.
Final Thoughts on Quotes That Inspire People with Depression
Reading quotes that inspire people with depression is helpful when needing some encouragement and help out of a hard time. Either use them yourself or pass them along to a loved one who is suffering.
These quotes can also bring some comfort just by offering evidence that you’re not alone in this fight against depression. Use this inspiration to take control and win back happiness