Do you ever feel like you have no energy or motivation for socializing? You might even feel downright antisocial from time to time. Like you simply don’t enjoy forming relationships with people, or like you can’t connect with others on any sort of deeper level? Or, maybe you feel that you get TOO attached to others, and therefore become jealous and possessive once they start to hang around others.
You just feel a bit disassociated from the world around you, like you have become so sensitive to energies emitted from others that you’d much rather spend time alone. If this sounds like you, you might have a blocked heart chakra. The heart chakra, or the fourth chakra, is located right in the middle of the chakra system, at the center of the chest between the breasts. This chakra represents expressions of love and compassion, and how we relate to ourselves and others.
Below, let’s talk a bit more about the heart chakra, and what you can do to get it unblocked.
If You’re feeling antisocial, this may be why…
The Sanskrit name for the Heart chakra is “Anahata”, which means “unstruck”. We can infer from this that by balancing your Heart chakra, you will feel less tense, less stagnant, and more free and open with how you live and relate to others.
Characteristics of the Heart chakra:
- Ability to love and be loved
- Compassion, empathy
- Forgiveness, acceptance
- Relating, relationships, connection
- Compassionate discrimination
- Center of awareness, integration of insights
- Harmonious, peaceful way of being
Ultimately, the heart chakra represents our ability to relate to others, form deep connections, and express our emotions openly and honestly. The heart chakra blends the functions of the lower and higher level chakras, and forms the balance between the two. When balanced, all relationships will thrive, and life just seems easier. It’s the chakra of love and feeling, allowing us to connect with others, enjoy life, and have balanced, healthy emotions.
A second function of the heart chakra deals with bridging the gap between the Earthly and spiritual chakras, the lower and upper energies of the body. A balanced heart chakra allows us to live through love, and not allow our fearful, domineering egos to run the show. Opening the heart chakra means transcending any limiting beliefs and negative emotions, and realizing that love and compassion for oneself and others will truly change the world.
Besides Feeling Antisocial, Here Are Other Signs of a Blocked Heart Chakra:
A blocked heart chakra can make you feel out of touch with yourself and those around you. It can also make you feel overly dependent on others, and easily offended. Being out of sync with the heart chakra means that you have either an underactive or overactive fourth chakra. You either take things out of context and feel overly sensitive, or feel totally detached and uninterested in relations and conversations with others.
The following are symptoms of an imbalanced heart chakra:
- Being overly defensive
- Jealousy; fear of intimacy
- Being codependent by relying on other’s approval and attention, trying to please at all cost
- Always putting oneself in the role of the savior or the rescuer
- Excessive isolation, recluse, antisocial
- Holding grudges, not being to forgive
- Too demanding of others
- Letting others walk all over you; people pleasing behaviors
- Victim mentality
A blocked heart chakra can affect your relationships with others, and result in low self-esteem. A heart chakra blockage can make it difficult to express your emotions clearly, and may result in total isolation and giving up on friendships as a result. Upon opening this chakra, you will find that your drive and need to connect with others will skyrocket, as you form a better connection with yourself and the world around you.
Some common physical symptoms of blockage include:
- Breathing problems
- Lung infections
- Heart conditions
Emotional Signs of a Heart Chakra Blockage
- Being withdrawn
- Avoiding socializing, social interactions
- Being overly critical of others and oneself
- Lacking empathy
- Feeling isolated
- Being overly demanding of others, especially close family or partner
- Extending yourself to fulfill other people’s perceived needs to the cost of one’s own balance
- Tendency to feeling like a victim
- Losing sense of personal boundaries in a way that is detrimental to your well-being
An imbalanced heart chakra can lead to two extremes; either total detachment from others, or total dependency on others. You might feel as though you have to bend over backwards for people to keep relationships. That’s because you do not set healthy boundaries for yourself. You easily put others’ needs before your own, but not in a selfless way. You rely on people-pleasing in order to keep your relationships. If you feel that you have a blocked heart chakra, read on to find out how to clear this blockage so you can live authentically and freely.
How to Clear a Blocked Heart Chakra (You’ll Stop Feeling So Antisocial)
Clearing the heart chakra involves a lot of self-acceptance and inner healing.
A few beginner steps to clear the heart chakra include:
- Removing emotional or physical interference in one’s life. This might mean healing past emotional pain, getting rid of negative relationships, removing limiting beliefs, or even working through physical hindrances such as chest or neck pain. Examine how you can form a more loving relationship with yourself, in all aspects of life.
- Get rid of as much stress as possible. Being overly stressed too often can negatively affect this chakra, so see where you can reduce stress in your life.
- Incorporate green colors into your life to help boost this chakra’s energy. Wear green clothing, eat more green foods, such as lettuce, celery, broccoli, green beans, etc, and place green items around your home.
- Meditate on the heart chakra. Imagine the green lotus flower in the middle of your chest, and hold this image in your mind. Remember to breathe deeply, and practice positive affirmations as well.
When you open and balance your heart chakra, you may notice the following symptoms:
- Feeling an abundance of love for others and life
- Being more compassionate
- Being more accepting of yourself
- Feeling inclined to forgive
- Better overall sense of balance and well-being
- Integration between with physical and earthly plane needs and spiritual aspirations
- Altruism, selflessness
- Harmonious, balanced control of the senses and emotions (does not feel like constriction or excessive control)
- Balance of yin and yang energies
- Harmony in relationships
- Dissipation of those antisocial feelings