Tomato soup is a favorite for many people during the colder winter months. Not only does it warm the soul, but tomatoes have a ton of important nutrients as well! Of course, you could always buy it at the store, but this homemade soup tastes much better.
Plus, store-bought soups contain a shocking amount of salt and additives that leave you feeling heavy and bloated. Not to mention, it just feels better to eat something you’ve prepared yourself.
This tomato soup recipe only requires a few simple ingredients that you probably have already. It doesn’t require a long preparation or cooking time, either, making it a perfect mid-week dinner. If you’re a tomato soup lover, this will surely become your new favorite recipe!
The tomato soup recipe will rock your taste buds.
What you’ll need to make this tomato soup:
- Cutting board
- Small bowl
- Baking pan or sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large pot
- Immersion hand blender
Ingredients for the soup:
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Sliced red bell pepper
- Sliced red onion
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 container of vegetable stock
- Soy or regular cream
Ingredients for butter spread for the French bread:
- 3 tbsp of softened butter
- one finely diced garlic clove
- 2 tbsp of finely diced parsley
- Get out your cutting board and chop six medium tomatoes in half. Make sure to take the stems off and place them on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place six cloves of garlic on the sheet as well. Then, sprinkle the tomatoes and garlic liberally with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on top of both, and then roast for 30 mins at 375 degrees.
- Remove only the garlic from the pan. Add one sliced red bell pepper (whole slices) and half of a small sliced red onion. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and olive oil on these and roast for another 15 mins at 375 degrees.
- Now, slice up your loaf of French bread. Put on another sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
- Next, get out the ingredients for the butter spread. After softening the butter, dice up one garlic clove very finely. Then, dice up a few parsley sprigs very finely, and mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spread liberally on the French bread, and toast in the oven until golden brown. (You may want to save this step until the end, so your bread is still warm).
- Now, take the roasted tomatoes, red onion, and bell pepper and place them in a large pot. Add the dried basil, more salt & pepper, and vegetable stock. Stir with a spoon, and then bring the liquid to a bowl.
- Use a hand (immersion) blender to create tomato soup. Add in 1/2 cup of soy or regular cream, and stir with a spoon.
- Pour as much as you want in a bowl, garnish with basil, and serve with your garlic butter French bread. Enjoy this delicious, warm meal!
Health benefits of tomato soup
Not only does this dish taste amazing, but it also contains tons of nutrients and antioxidants. Eating healthy doesn’t mean you have to settle for bland meals, and this one is no exception! Tomato soup packs a ton of flavor while giving your body essential vitamins and minerals.
Here are just a few health benefits of this scrumptious soup: