Sometimes life gets to be too much, and it’s hard to be happy. In times like these, many short quotes will help you be happier again.
These short quotes will offer reminders of why and how you can be happy again. You will be able to change your way of thinking and enjoy the little things in life that make it meaningful.
Through these short quotes, you will recover from the hard times and work on being happier again. Write down your favorite ones, or bookmark this page, so that you can look back when you need a happiness boost.
Short Quotes That Will Help You Be Happier
1. “The true secret of happiness lies in the taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.” – William Morris
You can only be happy if you choose to show interest in all parts of your life. Showing interest will bring peace and contentedness, eventually leading to true happiness. No matter how small it seems, every moment of your day is what will lead to happiness.
2. “Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” – Joseph Addison
You can’t sit idly and expect to find happiness. Instead, find something you love to do and spend your time doing it. Give yourself things to love and things to hope for, and you will be happier again, as Addison explains.
3. “Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it’s at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored.” – Earl Nightingale
You can decide to be happy, which is essentially important to do at every moment of your life. Please don’t wait around for something or someone to make you happy because it will never happen that way. To be happier, you have to decide to enjoy your life even in a seemingly small moment.
4. “On the whole, the happiest people seem to be those who have no particular cause for being happy except that they are so.” – William R. Inge
You may notice that the people who don’t have everything are the happiest. This is because happiness is simply a state of mind rather than a state of having everything you may desire. Choose to be happy simply because you can be, and you will find that this works better than anything else.
5. “Happiness consists more in conveniences of pleasure that occur every day than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom.” – Benjamin Franklin
Instead of waiting for big, fortunate moments to happen, find happiness in everyday occurrences. If you choose to appreciate the small things that happen daily rather than waiting for big events, you will be happier.
6. “Happiness in this world, when it comes, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us a wild-goose chase and is never attained.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
You can’t force happiness, and you can’t chase after it and obtain it, either. Instead, you have to wait for it to come to you. This often happens when you change your mindset and show gratitude for all the things in your life.
7. “We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.” – Frederick Keonig
You can get anything in the world and still be unhappy. This is why people with lots of money and material possessions are often still seeking happiness. The path to being happier is to appreciate what you already have and avoid becoming upset about what you don’t.
8. “Judge nothing, you will be happy. Forgive everything, you will be happier. Love everything, you will be happiest.” – Sri Chinmoy
Being judgmental and unforgiving will not help you become happy. Instead, avoiding these mindsets will be what brings you happiness. Stop judging others, learn to forgive everyone, and show love always, and you will quickly become happier.
9. “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.” – Chinese Proverb
As you can see, happiness can come in stages, but it always has to follow appreciation for something. There isn’t much that can bring lifelong happiness, although there is plenty that can bring moments of happiness. The only thing you can count on to bring lifetime happiness is helping someone else, which will bless you eternally.
10. “It’s the moments that I stopped just to be, rather than do, that have given me true happiness.” – Sir Richard Branson
Bask in the moment and give yourself time to think and reflect. Taking a moment to be present will bring more happiness than doing other things.
11. “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do.” – Freya Stark
If your actions go against your beliefs, you will never be able to find happiness. You will constantly be battling with yourself internally, and your happy moments will be severely diminished. Instead, make sure your actions are in line with your beliefs, and happiness will quickly follow.
12. “Man is fond of counting his troubles, but he does not count his joys. If he counted them up as he ought to, he would see that every lot has enough happiness provided for it.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
If you can stop counting your troubles and begin counting your blessings, you will be a whole lot happier. You will see that your blessings are enough to outweigh the troubles.
13. “It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.” – Dale Carnegie
The only thing that can truly determine your happiness is your thought process. If you can change the way you think about things, you will be happier again.
14. “Happiness is a function of accepting what is.” – Werner Erhard
Accept things as they are, and you will find happiness. There are always going to be things you wish you could change, but you have no control over. The key to happiness is accepting those things and letting go of the need to change it.
15. “So, we shall let the reader answer this question for himself: who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?” – Hunter S. Thompson
If you feel like you can’t be happy, try to stray from shore a little. Do something that makes you uncomfortable or pushes you to new limits. By doing this, you will remind yourself of the excitement of life and your capabilities.
16. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” – Mark Twain
To be happier, you should do something that will make other people happy. Find someone who needs a boost and do what you can to give it to them. You will find that it makes you happier again, too.
17. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.” – Denis Waitley
No matter where you go or what you buy, it does not guarantee happiness. Instead, you can be happier by showing love, grace, and gratitude, as Waitley explains.
18. “Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they didn’t stop to enjoy it.” – William Feather
Take your time as you go through life and enjoy the little things that happen each day. By basking in the joys, you will find happiness.
19. “Who is the happiest of men? He who values the merits of others, and in their pleasure takes joy, even as though it were his own.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
When you value others and strive to see them happy, you will feel happy yourself. By treating others well, you will benefit every time.
20. “Happiness is being content with what you have, living in freedom and liberty, having a good family life and good friends.” – Divyanka Tripathi
To be happy, you have to be content with what you already have and avoid wishing more. Live life freely and form good bonds with family and friends. These are the things that will make you happier.
Sometimes all you need to be happier again is a few short quotes. These short quotes offer optimism, reminders, and tips for being happier all of the time.
When you find yourself feeling down, remember these short quotes that will help you be happier again. You will be thankful for them in those moments, and you’ll be reminded of how to be happy.