Happiness isn’t always a guarantee in life. While there will be days when we feel like we’re living our best lives, there will also be times when it seems impossible to get out of bed. Through it all, we can still find a way to bring happiness to our daily lives. Reading these quotes on how to be happy should help to bolster your spirits.
15 Quotes on How to Be Happy
Though no one can force themselves to feel comfortable when they’re not, there are simple ways to change your mood that will make it easier to overcome whatever is holding you back from feeling happy. The following quotes on how to be happy will inspire you to shake off the blues and turn your frown upside down:
1. “View life with kindness and insight. Don’t beat yourself up for things that happened in the past. Though some past situations may make you wonder why you did the things you did, stop to breathe and ask the better question: ‘What did I learn?'” –Karen Salmansohn
If you want to be happy in life, you can’t let the things from the past weigh you down. Whether you’re wondering what you could’ve changed if you didn’t make individual decisions, the real question to ask is, what did these uncomfortable moments teach you?
Quotes on how to be happy like this are a reminder to look at the past as a series of teachable moments. This way, you’ll be able to find happiness despite anything that has happened to you.
2. “If you want to be happy, rise a bit earlier, think a bit clearer, pray a bit longer, and love a bit harder.” –Alex Elle
This simple quote shows us how to be just a little bit happier in our daily lives. Though happiness fluctuates, investing in habits that cultivate a stable lifestyle will help you maintain peace of mind, leading to an overall happier lifestyle.
3. “If you feel overwhelmed by a long-term goal or the present day, remember the following: you have it within you right now to do what you need to to get where you need to be later.” –Karen Salmansohn
It’s easy to find ourselves so overwhelmed by a goal that causes us anxiety or stress. Overcome this type of fear by focusing on the reality that you are right where you need to be.
Take comfort in knowing that you have everything you need to achieve your wildest dreams.
4. “There isn’t one path to happiness: it is happiness that is the path.” –Gautama Buddha
Many of us view life as a series of events that will one day bring us joy and happiness. While these feelings may ebb and flow in our lives, the key to happiness is acknowledging life’s joyful moments.
We’re all works in progress, don’t miss out on your happiness because you’re striving for perfection.
5. “Happiness is more of an inside job.” –William Arthur Ward
Happiness must start within. Though outside factors can contribute to how you’re feeling, the key to feeling genuine joy is finding it deep inside you.
Focus on things that bring joy to your heart. Whether it’s spending time in nature, talking to a loved one, meditating, or something similar, prioritizing these self-care activities is a great way to start feeling happy when you’re down.
6. “If you hope to be happy, just be.” –Leo Tolstoy
In our earnest attempts to build the lives of our dreams, we often get so caught up in waiting until we reach our goals to feel a sense of happiness and accomplishment.
While it’s vital to keep aspiring towards your goals, don’t withhold feeling happy until they happen. Finding ways to celebrate the small wins on this long-term journey makes it easier to find happiness every day.
7. “Each of us lives with the objective to be happy; all of our lives are different, yet the same.” –Anne Frank
Quotes on how to be happy like this one remind us that though our lives may seem drastically different on the outside, we all have the same basic desire to find joy in our lives.
The next time you find yourself exasperated by someone else, remember that they’re in the same boat as you. Finding this bit of common ground between you and them will help both of you to feel a bit more at peace with one another.
8. “Many people have the wrong idea of how to be truly happy. Happiness isn’t attained in self-gratification, but by remaining committed to our purpose.” –Helen Keller
It’s easy to fall into the trap of thinking that if we get everything we want, we will indeed be happy. Though this type of self-gratification can bring momentary bliss, it isn’t the key to life-long happiness.
Helen Keller’s quote on how to be happy reminds us that true happiness comes from finding and living out our purpose in life. Only then will we be content in our life’s work and efforts.
9. “Many people would prefer to be certain that they’re miserable rather than risk a chance at happiness.” — Robert Anthony
Many of us grow up knowing what our life’s purpose is. However, we lose sight of this goal as we become adults.
Quotes on how to be happy like this highlight the fact that many adults choose to live a life they’re miserable with. To find happiness we must push fear aside and take a risk. Though you may be scared to fall, happiness is found in doing precisely what agrees with your soul.
10. “We all have two options for happiness: We must augment our means or diminish our wants. Either may do, but the result will be the same for any person that decides for himself to do whichever is easier.” –Benjamin Franklin
Many of us spend life wanting more than what we have. While it’s healthy to aspire to live a better life, this shouldn’t come at the cost of living in the moment and being content with what we have now.
Ben Franklin’s quote shows us the key to happiness is adjusting our expectations. The person that expects to live a life where they give in to their every desire must find the means to do so. Likewise, the person that chooses to be happy only wants what they already have.
11. “Success isn’t the way to find happiness. Finding happiness is the way to success. If you find that you love what you do, you’ll be successful no matter what it is.” –Albert Schweitzer
We all want to live a successful life. Though you may imagine that being “successful” will ultimately make you happy, the real key to happiness lies in your definition of success.
Find something you love and do it every day. In this way, you’ll achieve success and happiness.
12. “The best way for anyone to cheer themselves up is to cheer another person up.” –Mark Twain
Mark Twain’s advice is a quick fix for finding happiness. Finding ways to make someone else happy will instantly bring a smile to your face.
13. “Man often counts his troubles without counting his joys. If we only counted our joys as we should, we would see that we have enough happiness to outweigh all our troubles.”–Fyodor Dostoevsky
It’s easy to become overwhelmed with all of life’s challenges. Though it’s tempting to give in to the stress and anxiety that comes with overcoming these obstacles, this quote shows us the power of counting our joys.
Happiness lies in being grateful. If you stop to count all of the blessings in your life, you’ll find that despite whatever challenges you’re facing, focusing on the positives will completely change your mindset.
14. “Every minute you spend in anger, you’ll lose 60 seconds of happiness.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
This smart quote is a clear reminder of the power of shifting our emotions. While every emotion has its place, we shouldn’t let emotions like anger overwhelm us.
We all have the same number of hours in the day. Will you spend your time feeling angry or happy?
15. “Happiness is found when what you do, what you say, and what you think are in harmony.” –Mahatma Gandhi
Though many of us don’t realize it, the key to being content in life is finding alignment. While many people search for what they think will make them feel whole, Mahatma Gandhi points out that happiness occurs as a result of one aligning their beliefs, actions, and words.
This kind of unity is where true happiness and peace are found.
The key to finding happiness is to create it. Wherever you are in life right now, you deserve to be happy. Learn to look past life’s most significant obstacles and your fears and anxieties to find the joy that’s already buried within you.
Take these quotes on how to be happy into consideration as you search to find alignment in your life. Remember to have gratitude, pursue your passions, and find contentment in your everyday moments. You’ll see that happiness isn’t too far away.