When you’re going through a hard time, you’ll have days when you need extra strength. The darkest days are the hardest, but getting through them will make the other days a little easier. Reading quotes to give you strength can help you get through, knowing you’re not alone and that it will pass.
Quotes can help no matter what you’re going through, from relationship problems, financial difficulties, the loss of a loved one, or anything else. Knowing that things will get better will give you hope for a better day tomorrow. Plus, they will give you strength as you realize that you can get through anything.
Even the strongest people face dark times, so these quotes are beneficial to anyone. They remind you not to give up, to remain hopeful, and to stay strong. Your true inner strength will shine through during these times, allowing you to see what you’re capable of.
Twenty Quotes to Give You Strength on the Darkest Days
These positive quotes give you the strength to keep pushing on, no matter how hard things get. If it helps, write the quotes in a place you will see each day as a reminder to push forward.
You discover your true inner strength when you feel like you’re at your lowest point. You are wonderful the way you are, and you are strong enough to get through anything. No matter what you’re going through, it can’t take away your identity.
2. “You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun.” – Shaun Hick
You will never know how great the good times are if you haven’t experienced darkness. Remind yourself that once this feeling passes, you will appreciate the good times much more than before.
3. “Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, ‘I will try again tomorrow.” – Mary Anne Radmacher
On your darkest days, give yourself credit for making it to the end of the day. By being willing to try again tomorrow, you show true courage to keep pushing through.
4. “We don’t develop courage by being happy every day. We develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.” – Barbara De Angelis
You can’t become more courageous or more assertive if you never encounter hard days. Each dark day you have, you grow stronger as you push through.
5. “Anyone can give up; it is the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would expect you to fall apart, now that is true strength.” – Chris Bradford
If you want to show everyone what you’re made of, keep moving even during hard times. When you persevere, it shows your true strength, so remember that when you feel like giving up.
6. “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.” – Marcus Aurelius
You can’t control anything except your mind. When unfortunate events outside of your control threaten your wellbeing, remember this quote to give you strength. You can choose to be strong during your darkest days, no matter how bad you’re feeling.
7. “Life keeps throwing me stones. And I keep finding the diamonds.” – Ana Claudia Antunes
When it seems like one bad thing after another happens, look for the good in each situation. As Antunes explains, there are plenty of diamonds to find amidst the hardship.
8. “Challenges are what make life interesting, and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” – Joshua J. Marine
Life would be boring if you never encountered challenges and obstacles. While you’d likely rather not deal with dark days, it makes your life more meaningful. Your life journey is what gives you fulfillment and satisfaction in the better days ahead.
9. “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” – Khalil Gibran
You can’t reach gain strength without encountering hard times and getting through them. Your dark days are making you stronger and ready to handle anything. Life is all about picking yourself up and finding joy even during the hard times.
10. “The trick is to enjoy life. Don’t wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead.” – Marjorie Pay Hinckley
You might be tempted to wish the days away when things get hard. As Hinckley explains, though, you should focus on enjoying life instead. When you focus on joy and positivity, it helps you live a meaningful life even amidst hardship.
You can’t learn anything when everything is easy. Try thinking of your challenging situation as a learning opportunity. Not only will you learn from it, but it’ll also help you enjoy the good times even more.
12. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
Your dark days aren’t meant to stop you from moving forward in life. As Reagon explains, the challenges happen to help you find yourself and determine your strengths. Don’t let your darkest days paralyze you, but see how you can learn and grow from them.
13. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
Without hope, you’ll feel like you can’t get through anything, especially the darkest days. Remain hopeful so that you can believe tomorrow could be better. It’ll help you get through the hard times right now, and you’ll be more appreciative when the good day comes.
14. “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in. That’s what this storm’s all about.” – Haruki Murakami
It might be hard to see it right now, but the storm you’re enduring is worth it. While you likely won’t remember how you made it through, you will remember how much you changed throughout the struggle. You will grow and improve with each step you take, resulting in a different but better person.
15. “Sometimes you don’t realize your own strength until you come face to face with your greatest weakness.” – Susan Gale
You might never realize how strong you are if you don’t encounter dark days. When you face hard times and persevere, you’ll give yourself more credit than you did before. Then, on your next dark day, you’ll already know that you can handle it.
16. “As with the butterfly, adversity is necessary to build character in people.” – Joseph B. Wirthlin
Butterflies are the perfect example of something that requires adversity to reach its full potential. Think of yourself as a butterfly as you overcome the darkest days, knowing that beauty lies ahead.
17. “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven’t.” – Thomas Edison
No matter what the situation is, there is always something more you can do. Whether there is a method you haven’t tried yet or a way to make your method work, you can figure it out. Sometimes, the best possibility is to walk away from things that make you feel bad, though.
18. “Every adversity, every failure, and every heartache carries with it the seed of an equivalent or a greater benefit.” – Napoleon Hill
Every time you experience hardship or have a dark day, remember this quote. Each adversity, failure, or heartache precedes something good.
19. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
While everyone enjoys the good days, you must embrace the dark days, too. As Mandino explains, the darkness offers brightness and hope for the future.
20. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…. You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” – Walt Disney
It might be hard to recognize the benefit when you’re going through your darkest days, but there is usually at least one. When you’re having a hard time, remember that it is all happening for a reason, and things will get better.
These positive quotes can give you strength on your darkest days. Re-read these quotes whenever you struggle to get out of bed or can’t switch your negative thoughts. They’ll give you a boost of encouragement and strength, helping you get through the day.
Better yet, spend a few minutes each day reading over your favorite positive quotes. It’ll get you started on a good note each morning, allowing you to recall the words of wisdom later on.