The Dalai Lama is known for being the head of the church in Tibet. His wisdom speaks volume about character. Through the years, we have learned many inspirational love quotes from the Dalai Lama. These wise words can offer you inspiration when you need encouragement and comfort during troubled times.
These church leaders spend their lives spreading wise words about kindness around the world. The hope is to encourage appreciation and discourage hate. To hear these words can help put us in a mental state to move forward with a positive attitude in life. Take a look.
Here are 18 inspirational quotes about love by the Dalai Lama.
1. “Love is the absence of judgment.”
The Dalai Lama tells us that when you love someone, you do not judge them. No one, including you, is perfect. As you would hope someone would accept your flaws and love you without judgment, you should do the same to others.
2. “Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive.”
Some people think that people only need food and water to survive. That’s not the case. We, as humans, require love in our lives.
3. “Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.”
Many couples will talk about how much they need each other. This relationship turns into co-dependence instead of love. People who love each other can be completely independent but still, want each other.
4. “Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.”
Love is not necessarily secure, sometimes. Many people take the easy way out by default. The Dalai Lama tells us that the best love sometimes involves a substantial risk. You shouldn’t be afraid to leap. It might just be worth it.
5. “The more you are motivated by love; the more fearless and free your action will be.”
What guides your actions? Some people are motivated by greed. Others are motivated by love. When you are motivated by love, your actions will follow positively. When you need to make decisions in life, you will make better decisions since love guides your way.
6. “We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection.”
Many people think that the Dalai Lama’s priority is religion or meditation. He attempts to correct this misconception with this quote. He explains that while spirituality and meditation are high priorities, the true thing all humans need is love.
7. “Give the ones you love wings to fly, roots to come back, and reasons to stay.”
To create great relationships with the people you love, you need to give them freedom. You also need to provide them with open arms and love when they come back. The relationship will be stronger when they go to explore on their own for a short time.
8. “Love and Compassion are the true religions to me. But to develop this, we do not need to believe in any religion.”
There are many religions to choose from. We learn here that the specifics of faith do not matter. The thing that matters is that you follow the concept of love. This statement means that people of any religion should come together instead of fighting as long as they share that same emphasis on love. Even serious disagreements don’t need to result in hate this way.
9. “When we feel love and kindness toward others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peace.”
This love quotes eludes to looking after ourselves. When we are kind to others, we are really kind to ourselves. When we love toward others, it satisfies something in us that we need to find peace and self-love. Yes, we should love others to be kind to them, but we benefit, too.
10. “Wherever you have friends, that’s your country, and wherever you receive love, that’s your home.”
It doesn’t matter where you come from. It’s where your heart lands. The importance is that your heart thrives somewhere with plenty of love and acceptance. When you arrive in that place, that’s home.
11. “Because we all share an identical need for love, it is possible to feel that anybody we meet, in whatever circumstances, is a brother or sister.”
We are all connected in the universe. The reason we are all connected in that we all want and need love. That should unite us all and cause each other to treat one another like family.
12. “I pray for all of us, oppressor and friend, that together we may succeed in building a better world through human understanding and love, and that in doing so we may reduce the pain and suffering of all sentient beings.”
It’s an undeniable fact that there is much pain in the world. Most of this suffering results from people hating each other unnecessarily. The consequences can lead to war and death. However, there are ways we can minimize or even get rid of this suffering. The answer here seems to be love. When we show each other respect, the pain will end.
13. “Joy is the reward, really, of seeking to give joy to others. When you show compassion, when you show caring when you show love to others, do things for others, in a wonderful way, you have a deep joy that you can get in no other way. You can’t buy it with money. You can be the richest person on Earth, but if you care only about yourself, I can bet my bottom dollar, you will not be happy and joyful. But when you are caring, compassionate, more concerned about the welfare of others than about your own, wonderfully, wonderfully, you suddenly feel a warm glow in your heart, because you have, in fact, wiped the tears from the eyes of another.”
There is something far more valuable than money. That is joy. People get pleasure from showing joy and love to others. Even more, it’s a deep joy that goes down to the soul.
14. “There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called yesterday, and the other is called tomorrow, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live.”
People need to stay in the present. When people focus on love in the past or future, they are missing out on the love that is right in front of them right then. It’s also a reminder not to wait. When you have the opportunity to love your neighbor or your lover today, you should take that opportunity without question.
15. “Joy is, in fact, quite contagious. As is love, compassion, and generosity. So being more joyful is not just about having more fun. We’re talking about a more empathetic, more empowered, even more spiritual state of mind that is totally engaged with the world.”
When you demonstrate kindness and love, other people will catch onto your intentions like a beautiful cold. They will start to spread love, too. The people they spread love to will continue the pattern. Love is something that everyone wants, so people naturally drift toward it. However, someone needs to start spreading the desire to begin the process.
16. “If a person shows anger to you, and you show anger in return, the result is disaster. If you nurse hatred, you will never be happy, even in the lap of luxury. By contrast, if you control your anger and show its opposite – love, compassion, tolerance, and patience – then not only do you remain in peace, but gradually, the anger of others also will diminish.”
We will not always meet other people who show us love. Some of them will show us hate. When that happens, it can be easy to return the hate. Instead, it’s a better idea to return their hatred with love. You will be happier yourself, and you may even change the person’s negative outlook.
17. “People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved, and people are being used.”
It’s a sad fact that some people value material things over the things that are truly important in this world, such as love. This thinking can lead to war and other chaos in the world. The world needs to establish the correct priorities. When we prioritize love over greed, the chaotic things in the world start to calm down.
18. “Living in society, we must share the suffering of our fellow citizens and practice compassion and tolerance, not only toward our loved ones but also toward our enemies.”
It’s easy to love the people who love us. However, it’s even more important to love the people who don’t like us.
Final Thoughts on These Dalai Lama Inspirational Quotes About Love
These inspirational love quotes by the Dalai Lama are a great way to inspire yourself to love the people around you, whether they show you the same respect back or not. It’s also a great way to guide your life toward love instead of greed or other priorities. When other people see your new emphasis on love, hopefully, they will do the same.