Even if you don’t follow a plant-based diet, you’ll still love these vegan cinnamon rolls. They have all the flavor of regular cinnamon rolls, just without eggs or dairy. Plus, they’re simple to make and only require a few unique ingredients, such as vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, and almond milk. You can most likely find these at your local health foods or plant-based store.
If you’ve never tried plant-based cheese or butter before, don’t let the idea scare you. Companies have perfected their vegan recipes in today’s world, so they taste just like the real thing!
How to Make the Tastiest Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Without further ado, let’s get to making the best vegan cinnamon rolls you’ll ever have.
Supplies you need:
- Large bowl
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Baker’s table or large cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Muffin pan
- Electric whisk
Ingredients for vegan cinnamon rolls:
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Directions for making the vegan cinnamon roll dough:
- Pour the melted butter, almond milk, and baking powder into the bowl. Use a whisk to blend thoroughly.
- Then, add the all-purpose flour and use a spatula to fold it into the mixture gently.
- Once you’ve thoroughly combined the flour, remove the vegan cinnamon roll dough from the bowl and place it on a cutting board.
- Sprinkle some flour on the cutting board and begin kneading the dough. Sprinkle a little flour on the dough as well, and knead for about 2-3 minutes.
- Then, grab a rolling pin and sprinkle it with flour as well. Roll the dough until it forms a large rectangle. You’ll want to roll both lengthwise and widthwise, going back and forth in each direction.
- Next, take the softened vegan butter and spread it on the dough. Make sure to coat it evenly.
- Now sprinkle the dough with brown sugar and cinnamon, covering the whole surface area.
- Time for the best part – forming the cinnamon rolls! Start at the bottom of the dough and roll vertically, tucking in the dough as you go. By the end of the process, you should have a thin, long cylindrical piece of dough.
- Next, pat the dough down to make sure it’s even. Then grab your knife and cut the vegan cinnamon roll dough into 1-1.5 inch pieces.
- Transfer the cinnamon rolls into a muffin pan next. First, make sure to coat the pan with butter or oil, so the rolls don’t stick.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Ingredients for vegan cinnamon roll icing:
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Directions for making the vegan cinnamon roll icing:
- Wash out the bowl you used to make the dough. Pour the cream cheese, vegan butter, and powdered sugar into the bowl.
- Use an electric whisk to blend the ingredients until thoroughly combined. It may get a little messy, so make sure to wear an apron or clothes you don’t care about! Or, use a deep bowl, so the sugar doesn’t fly up when you mix it.
- Next, pour the icing over the warm cinnamon rolls, using a spoon to coat them.
- Warm a couple in the microwave and enjoy this scrumptious treat!
Baking notes/alternatives to the recipe
- Allow the dough to rest for ten to fifteen minutes before baking. This ensures the dough stretches, which makes it easier to pull apart the vegan cinnamon rolls. Since you’re not using yeast in this recipe, you don’t have to wait around two hours for the dough to rise. While this means the cinnamon rolls won’t be as fluffy, they’ll still melt in your mouth!
- If you aren’t totally vegan, feel free to use regular butter and cream cheese. If you choose to use vegan substitutes and have any allergies, pay attention to the labels before buying. Some butter and cheeses contain soy and tree nuts, so make sure to choose allergen-free options if necessary.
- If you’re following a gluten-free diet, make sure to use all-purpose flour without gluten.
- Want extra soft vegan cinnamon rolls? Use a baking dish instead of a muffin pan. Sometimes the rolls can get crispy if they have too much room between each other.
- Store leftover rolls at room temperature for up to three days. You can also freeze them in an airtight container and allow them to thaw before eating.
- If you find that the icing is too thick, add a little water or plant milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Ensure the rolls are golden brown before removing them from the oven.
With the holidays coming up, it’s the perfect time to bake these warm, comforting cinnamon rolls. We know it’s tempting to grab a Pillsbury mix at the store, but you’ll thank yourself for choosing the homemade option! Baking from scratch with love and care makes food taste better, after all.
So, put on your favorite playlist and tune out the world for a while. It’s time for some baking therapy to put your mind and soul at ease. Your troubles will seem miles away with the smell of cinnamon rolls wafting through your house.
Final Thoughts on Making Tasty Vegan Cinnamon Rolls That Will Warm Your Soul
Without a doubt, it’s been a rough couple of years in the world. But, don’t worry – these vegan cinnamon rolls will cheer you up, especially if you gather friends and family to share them with! There’s nothing like comfort food to lift your spirits and drown out your worries. Plus, this recipe only requires about an hour of your time, with prep and cooking included.
If you have some free time this weekend, we advise starting your Saturday off with this recipe. Once you taste this gooey, cinnamon-filled treat, we promise you won’t regret it!
We hope you enjoyed this vegan recipe! Let us know if you end up trying it.