When life gets busy, it can be challenging to find time to relax. It’s during those times that relaxation is most important, however.
You can think more clearly, work more effectively, socialize better, and just experience better overall well-being if you relax. It’ll also give you more energy to be more productive and happier.
These quotes about why you must take time to relax will help you understand why it is so important. Plus, they may give you the motivation you need to take the necessary time you need.
20 Quotes About Why You Must Take Time to Relax
1. “Together with a culture of work, there must be a culture of leisure as gratification. To put it another way: people who work must take the time to relax, to be with their families, to enjoy themselves, read, listen to music, play a sport.” – Pope Francis
While you must spend time working in some way, you also must spend time relaxing. You can do this by spending time with your loved ones or doing something leisurely that you enjoy.
2. “Relaxation is the prerequisite for that inner expansion that allows a person to express the source of inspiration and joy within.” – Deepak Chopra
As Chopra explains, without relaxation, you won’t be able to show the happiness that you feel inside. You may not be able to realize the joy that you have inside if you don’t take this time.
3. “Learn to relax. Your body is precious, as it houses your mind and spirit. Inner peace begins with a relaxed body.” – Norman Vincent Peale
Take care of your mind and spirit by spending time relaxing. This habit is how you will find inner peace and happiness.
4. “Sometimes we just need to put down our phones, close our eyes, and take a few deep breaths. Ideas are often in flight patterns around our brains, just waiting for clearance to land.” – Sam Harrison
Relaxing doesn’t mean you should stare at your phone or scroll through social media. Pure relaxation is when you put down all of the distractions and just sit peacefully at the moment. Take some deep breaths and let your mind decide what to think about.
5. “We will be more successful in all our endeavors if we can let go of the habit of running all the time, and take little pauses to relax and re-center ourselves. And we’ll also have a lot more joy in living.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
By taking time to enjoy life, you’ll be making your life easier and more successful. When you allow your mind and body to rest, you’ll become rejuvenated.
6. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.” – William S. Burroughs
There are times when you’re racking your brain for a solution to a problem or an answer to a question. The answer just won’t come, and your thought process isn’t getting you anywhere.
It’s times like this when taking a break is most important. By resting and allowing your mind to wander, you’ll likely find the answer you were looking for.
7. “Relax and refuse to let worry and stress rule your life. There is always a solution to every problem. Things will work out for you when you take time to relax, refresh, restore and recharge your soul.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
Every issue can be resolved, so try to relax and let things play out. When you let the stress overwhelm you, the solutions will seem farther out of reach.
8. “As important as it is to have a plan for doing work, it is perhaps more important to have a plan for rest, relaxation, self-care, and sleep.” – Akiroq Brost
Planning is essential in all aspects of life. Relaxation time is one important thing to plan for. You have to take care of yourself if you want to be at your best.
9. “The only time I waste is time I spend doing something that, in my gut, I know I shouldn’t. If I choose to spend time playing video games or sleeping in, then it’s time well spent, because I chose to do it. I did it for a reason – to relax, to decompress, or to feel good, and that was what I wanted to do.” – Simon Sinek
In this quote, Sinek explains that doing things that you enjoy isn’t wasting time. You have to take time for yourself to rest your mind and let go.
10. “Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges. So, relax.” – Bryant McGill
You’ll think more clearly and efficiently if you aren’t stressed out and thinking frantically. By keeping calm, you’ll be able to take every challenge head-on.
11. “If a man insisted always on being serious, and never allowed himself a bit of fun and relaxation, he would go mad or become unstable without knowing it.” – Herodotus
While being serious is appropriate at times, it isn’t always recommended. You have to have some fun and do things that you enjoy.
12. “The breaks you take from work pay you back manifold when you return because you come back with a fresher mind and newer thinking. Some of your best ideas come when you’re on vacation.” – Gautam Singhania
When you take a break and come back, thinking more clearly, you’ll be able to get more work done. Likewise, you might be thinking in a completely different way. This mindset can lead to new ideas and more productive work.
13. “Stop a minute, right where you are. Relax your shoulders, shake your head and spine like a dog shaking off cold water. Tell that imperious voice in your head to be still.” – Barbara Kingsolver
Even when you feel like you don’t have time to take a break, just take five minutes to relax. When you know the tension is building up and you aren’t thinking clearly, just stop.
Relax, stretch your body out, and let out some of the tension. Take some deep breaths and let your stressful thoughts. After the five minutes is up, return to work and see if that helped at all.
14. “The more relaxed you are, the better you are at everything: the better you are with your loved ones, the better you are with your enemies, the better you are at your job, the better you are with yourself.” – Bill Murray
When you’re calm, all things in life seem to go better. Your relationships will flourish, tension with enemies may ease, work will improve, and you’ll take better care of yourself.
15. “It’s a good idea always to do something relaxing prior to making an important decision in your life.” – Paulo Coelho
As was stated before and discussed in other quotes, you think more clearly when you are relaxed and calm. With this being the case, you should always relax for a bit before committing to an important decision. Even if you feel you already know what you’ll choose, relaxing will help confirm the right choice for you.
16. “Every now and then go away, have a little relaxation, for when you come back to your work your judgment will be surer.” – Leonardo da Vinci
If you want to work effectively, you have to clear your mind. Even relaxing for a short time can help you focus when you get back to work.
17. “The mind should be allowed some relaxation, that it may return to its work all the better for the rest.” – Seneca
There is a trend in these quotes that prove relaxation leads to more efficient work. If you have a large amount of work on your plate, set aside relaxation time.
18. “The happiness we seek cannot be found through grasping, trying to hold on to things. It cannot be found through getting serious and uptight about wanting things to go in the direction we think will bring happiness. We are always taking hold of the wrong end of the stick. The point is that the happiness we seek is already here, and it will be found through relaxation and letting go rather than through struggle.” -Pema Chodron
You can’t control how everything in your life will go. Sometimes things go differently than you had planned, and that is okay. Let go and allow your mind to relax, knowing that things will work out.
19. “No matter how much pressure you feel at work, if you could find ways to relax for at least five minutes every hour, you’d be more productive.” – Dr. Joyce Brothers
Productivity is vital at work. You can work long hours when you’re stressed and get less done than when you work fewer hours with a calm mind.
20. “During periods of relaxation after concentrated intellectual activity, the intuitive mind seems to take over and can produce the sudden clarifying insights which give so much joy and delight.” – Fritjof Capra
You could spend hours thinking about something, only to find the answers when you least expect it. When your mind is allowed to relax, everything becomes more evident.
When you feel like there is no time to relax, you have to find the time. You can do this by spending only five minutes every hour, focusing on your breathing or sitting quietly.
Everyone needs some relaxation time each day. These quotes about why you must take time to relax will help you give yourself the time that you need.