When we have been hurt in a relationship, it is difficult to move past this painful time in our lives. Forgiving our partner is a key step toward regaining personal peace and happiness. These forgiveness quotes will give you ways to escape the self-defeating thoughts that are swirling in your head. Quotes about forgiveness will make you strong enough to let the relationship go. It’s possible that you may decide to move forward with the relationship, and the best forgiveness quotes will teach you how to put the past behind you.
Forgiveness quotes come from a wide variety of sources such as business leaders, poets, novelists, and celebrities. When you are choosing quotes about forgiveness that match your situation, follow your heart. The forgiveness quotes that speak to you the most are the ones that will help you move on.
17 Forgiveness Quotes to Help Soothe your Soul
1. ”There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.”
Bryant H. McGill
2. “Forgiveness is the best form of love. It takes a strong person to say sorry and an even stronger person to forgive.”
3. “Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have dealt.”
4. “Forgiveness is an act of the will, and the will can function regardless of the temperature of the heart.”
Corrie ten Boom
5. “Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more,
Men were deceivers ever,-
One foot in sea and one on shore,
To one thing constant never.”
William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
6. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.”
7. “Sometimes you have to forgive and forget, forgive them for hurting you, and forget they even exist.”
8. “Some forgive and forget, more forgive and remember, most forgive and remind.”
9. “People have to forgive. We don’t have to like them, we don’t have to be friends with them, we don’t have to send them hearts in text messages, but we have to forgive them, to overlook, to forget. Because if we don’t we are tying rocks to our feet, too much for our wings to carry!”
C. JoyBell C.
10. “Forgiveness has nothing to do with absolving a criminal of his crime. It has everything to do with relieving oneself of the burden of being a victim–letting go of the pain and transforming oneself from victim to survivor.”
11. “When you forgive, you love. And when you love, God’s light shines upon you.”
Jon Krakauer, Into the Wild
12. “Appreciate those who love you, help those who need you, forgive those who hurt you, forget those who leave you.”
13. “As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn’t leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison.”
14. “Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.”
Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
15. “Thus with my lips have I denounced you, while my heart, bleeding within me, called you tender names.
It was love lashed by its own self that spoke. It was pride half slain that fluttered in the dust. It was my hunger for your love that raged from the housetop, while my own love, kneeling in silence, prayed for your forgiveness.”
Kahlil Gibran, The Forerunner: His Parables and Poems
16. “Forgiveness in no way requires that you trust the one you forgive.”
William Paul Young, The Shack
17. “All too often women believe it is a sign of commitment, an expression of love, to endure unkindness or cruelty, to forgive and forget. In actuality, when we love rightly we know that the healthy, loving response to cruelty and abuse is putting ourselves out of harm’s way.”
Bbell hooks, All About Love: New Visions