It is common for people to become unhappy or dissatisfied with life sometimes. When this happens, shifting your mindset and finding happiness again is essential to your well-being. These quotes about contentment can help you refocus and find satisfaction in life again.
People become unhappy with their life for many reasons, and it’s sometimes hard to pinpoint the exact cause. Whether it’s that you fell short on reaching a goal or because you’ve become complacent, you can overcome the feeling. When you’re contented with your life, you’ll feel happier, more inspired, and better overall.
If you give into life dissatisfaction, you’ll struggle to enjoy your life or reach your goals. You’ll feel down all of the time, and you won’t have the motivation that you need to live a fulfilling life. Making a change and focusing on being happy with what you have will result in a life improvement.
Fifteen Quotes About Contentment
These quotes about contentment come from people that have experienced dissatisfaction and happiness before. They know how both feelings affect you differently, and they also know how to overcome dissatisfaction with life. As you read through these quotes about contentment, consider posting a few in locations you see often.
It doesn’t matter what you are waiting for in life. You must be ready for it. Trust that it will come to you, and be open to receiving it when it comes. If you aren’t prepared for and available to opportunity and happiness, you will miss out on contentment in your life.
2. “This happiness consisted of nothing else but the harmony of the few things around me with my own existence, a feeling of contentment and well-being that needed no changes and no intensification.” – Hermann Hesse
You can be happy no matter where you are or what’s going on around you, as Hesse explains in this quote. As long as you focus on your inner harmony, you’ll find contentment and satisfaction in life. You don’t need to change anything except your mindset, so embrace your existence, and you’ll find what you need.
3. “Self-esteem is crucial to how much or how little contentment you feel at the end of your life.” – Mark Goulston
Your self-esteem plays a significant role in how you feel about your life. If you don’t feel good about yourself, you’ll struggle with life dissatisfaction. Learn to love yourself and build your self-esteem so that you can start living a life you love.
Quotes About Contentment That Will Lift Your Self-Esteem
4. “Maybe happiness didn’t have to be about the big, sweeping circumstances, about having everything in your life in place. Maybe it was about stringing together a bunch of small pleasures.” – Ann Brashares
Don’t wait for happiness to come when big, exciting things happen in your life. Instead, learn to enjoy and appreciate the little steps along the way. Like many of the quotes about contentment advise, embrace the small moments rather than waiting for everything to be perfect.
5. “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
You can’t keep searching for contentment because that isn’t the way to find it. It is already inside of you, so spend some time sitting still and looking within. As you sit and reflect, you’ll begin to experience peace and happiness.
6. “Eventually, we reach the point where we start to realize that we are not going to find peace, contentment, happiness, strength, fearlessness – all of the things that in our heart of hearts we wish we had – outside of us.” – Guy Finley
Don’t waste your time and energy searching outside of yourself for the things you want to feel. They all lie within you already, so look within for contentment in life. When you look within, you’ll experience an improved sense of well-being and joy.
Quotes About Contentment and a Fuller Life
7. “Contentment is not about getting what you want. Contentment is about wanting what you’ve got.” – Unknown
Many people think that getting more will make them feel better and enjoy life more. Unfortunately, getting more won’t help you find peace or help you live a fulfilled life. Focus on the things and people you already have because that’s the only way to reach a state of contentment.
If you want to be happy, remember what Clegg says in this quote about contentment. Happy people don’t have the best things or the best situation. Instead, they make the best of what they have right now, and you can do the same.
9. “When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, ‘Oh yes – I already have everything that I really need.’” – Dalai Lama
It’s normal to desire more when you feel down and discontent about your life. Getting more won’t make you feel better long-term, and the euphoria will be short-lived. You’ll always find yourself wanting more, but you’ll never be happy.
Instead, focus on being content with your life as it is right now. When you shift your mindset to one of gratitude and appreciation, you’ll find the peace you’re searching for.
Quotes About Contentment That Build Appreciation
10. “Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
You can want more in life and still be content with what you have right now. Embrace the way things are right now because, even if they aren’t perfect, they are leading you to where you are meant to be. You have everything you need right now, so face the day with an open mind and joy in your heart.
11. “If there is any one thing that will bring peace and contentment into the human heart, and into the family, it is to live within our means.” – Heber J. Grant
Living within your means will help you enjoy life and find peace. If you’re not living within your means, it’ll be a constant source of stress and tension, hindering your ability to find contentment. Rein in your spending and expenses if you need to, and you’ll find that your life becomes much more enjoyable.
12. “Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
When you spend all of your time thinking about things you want, you ruin what you have right now. If it helps, think back to where you were in the past. It can serve as a reminder that you once wished for everything you have now, so you should embrace this quote about contentment.
Quotes About Contentment to Help Live a Better Life
13. “Contentment is never the outcome of fulfillment, of achievement, or of the possession of things; it is not born of action or inaction. It comes with the fullness of what is, not in the alteration of it.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
Reaching a state of contentment doesn’t happen by fulfilling a goal or achieving your dreams. It also doesn’t happen by getting more material things. You can’t do anything to become content except look within and feel fulfillment with what you already have.
14. “Good humor is a tonic for mind and body. It is the best antidote for anxiety and depression. It is a business asset. It attracts and keeps friends. It lightens human burdens. It is the direct route to serenity and contentment.” – Grenville Kleiser
When all else fails, turn to humor to find joy in your life. It’ll help improve your overall well-being, attract positive experiences and people, and help you find contentment. Remember this quote and watch a comedy or spend time with a friend that makes you laugh.
15. “I find contentment in the craft of writing and fulfillment in self-expression.” – Max Boot
Sometimes all that you need to look for in quotes about contentment in life is time for self-expression. When you express yourself, you become more aware of your inner thoughts and feelings. Spend some time writing or doing something else that allows you to express yourself.
When it comes to living a fulfilling and meaningful life, feeling happy should be your ultimate goal, as these quotes about contentment express. Embrace the things and people in your life, and learn to love your life and yourself as you are right now. These quotes about contentment can help you remember to focus on the good in your life.
As you learn to be happy, you’ll experience contentment and live well. You’ll have moments when you feel down, but you can switch your mindset if you can remember these quotes about contentment. As you practice embracing and loving your life right now, your overall well-being will improve.