Michael Jordan, best known as a retired professional basketball player, was considered by many as the greatest of all time. While he doesn’t play basketball professionally anymore, many people still believe him to be the best. This is because he showed hard work, determination, and positivity and shared his insights with others.
These Michael Jordan quotes show the positive mindset that he portrayed. In the quotes, you will find motivation, encouragement, and tips for reaching your goals. You will also hear about Jordan’s views on failure and facing obstacles.
His wise and positive words have left lasting impressions on many people. You can use them in your life to help guide you and remind you to keep trying even when things get hard. Anyone can be successful, and these Jordan quotes will help you get started in the right direction.
As you read through the quotes, memorize or write down your favorite ones. Put them in places you can see them often, and you will remember the work-ethic that Jordan portrays and encourages. These Michael Jordan quotes will help you see why many still consider him to be the best.
Fifteen Best Michael Jordan Quotes
Here’s some excellent life advice from one of America’s top basketball players, maybe the best.
Life doesn’t always work out the way you want it to. You still shouldn’t give up, though, and you shouldn’t avoid trying. Even when things aren’t going as you had planned, give your all and try your best.
2. “Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation.”
Have a positive mindset during negative times can turn the entire situation around. Keeping a positive attitude will help you make the most of the situation and turn it into a positive one. Use positive thinking to help you when things get hard.
3. “Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.”
There are no limits on your life. You can be whatever you set your mind to, and you can achieve anything if you believe in yourself. As Jordan explains, limits and fears are simply an illusion, so don’t let them hold you back.
This quote helps explain why many still consider Jordan to be the best because it teaches people to stop setting limits. The only limits you will encounter in your success are the ones you set for yourself because those are the only ones that exist. They are simply illusions that you have created in your mind.
4. “I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying.”
Many people still consider Michael Jordan to be the best because he doesn’t stop trying. Even when failure is a possibility, he always tries his best to succeed.
If you live the same way he does, you will find that you achieve so much more. Failure is acceptable, but not trying is not and will not get you anywhere. Accept the chance that you might fail and give your all anyway because the other option is not to try at all.
5. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
When you always think about your failures or shortcomings, they might add up. If you find yourself having these thoughts, follow them up with the good things you have done.
Remember that just because you failed or messed up doesn’t mean you are a failure. Failing leads to succeeding, and you can’t have one without the other.
6. “Everybody has talent, but ability takes hard work.”
Jordan knew he was talented but understood that he still had to work hard. Everyone around you, including you, has talent. You have to be willing to put in the hard work it takes to use your skill for success.
7. “You can practice shooting 8 hours a day, but if your technique is wrong, then all you become is very good at shooting the wrong way. Get the fundamentals down, and the level of everything you do will rise.”
Since he knew hard work is essential, he also knew that you have to practice with the right technique. Learning how to do things correctly is the key to doing things well. To be better, you have to know the basics or the fundamentals to do it properly.
8. “Don’t let them drag you down by rumors. Just go with what you believe in.”
People will always talk about you, but you can’t let that bring you down. Going with what you believe in will always win over the rumors that are spread.
9. “Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen.”
Wanting and wishing for something will never make your dream come true. You have to go out there and do what it takes to make things happen. The ones who go after what they want are the ones who will get it.
10. “If you’re trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I’ve had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don’t have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don’t turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”
No matter what you are trying to accomplish, you will experience obstacles. The obstacles didn’t stop Jordan, and he showed everyone else that it is possible to overcome.
Keep working toward what you want, and when your first plan doesn’t work, figure out a new way. There is always a way to success, but you have to be willing to find it.
11. “The minute you get away from fundamentals – whether it’s proper technique, work ethic, or mental preparation – the bottom can fall out of your game, your schoolwork, your job, whatever you’re doing.”
As explained before, learning the fundamentals is essential if you want to succeed and do things right. Learn the correct way to do something, have a good work ethic, and mentally prepare always. Otherwise, what you are working for could slip away from you.
12. “Enjoy every minute of life. Never second-guess life.”
Life is meant to be enjoyed, and Jordan shows that in his life. Even when things aren’t great, focus on enjoying the present.
Spending your time and wasting your thoughts on second-guessing yourself is detrimental and damaging. That kind of thinking will hold you back and interfere with your goals.
13. “If it turns out that my best wasn’t good enough, at least I won’t look back and say I was afraid to try.”
Jordan didn’t want to regret not trying his best, and he encourages others to live the same way. Don’t let yourself regret not trying because that will be worse than not succeeding. When things aren’t going well, you must keep trying because you will never know how things would have gone otherwise.
14. “I never looked at the consequences of missing a big shot… when you think about the consequences, you always think of a negative result.”
Thinking of what could go wrong will stop you from trying. Instead, focus on what could go right if things worked out. Thinking of what could go right will be what leads to a positive result.
15. “I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win.”
Always give your all, even when no one is watching. When you just as hard behind the scenes as you do in front of them, you will produce better results.
Plus, you will be upping your talent and becoming better at what you do. When you always push yourself to be the best, you will find that you become better overall. Stay competitive each day, even if you are only competing with yourself.
Some people believe that Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time. Many still consider him to be the best, but not only for his athletic talent. Jordan is a positive person who worked hard to reach his goals, and he has shared his wisdom with the world.
Through his quotes, Michael Jordan opens up about how he became successful and how everyone else can, too. While you may not be a professional basketball player, you do have many other talents. Tune in to what you are good at, set some goals, and use Jordan’s quotes to motivate you.
Once you have read these Michael Jordan quotes, you will understand why many still consider him the best. He worked hard, reached his goals, and kept trying when he failed. Then, he encouraged others to chase their dreams and keep working hard always.