It’s no secret that our lives can be incredibly stressful. We’re constantly on the run at work, dealing with family issues, and trying to squeeze some personal time in. Did we even mention sleep?
So it should come as no surprise that anxiety and headaches can become a common occurrence, not to mention a terrible nuisance. Headaches and anxiety are by-products of living in a continually-stressed state. Indeed, we often feel we have 25 hours of things to do. However, we have only 24 hours to accomplish them.
Unfortunately, many of us turn to other, less-desirable methods of trudging through the day. We’ll fuel ourselves with a cup of coffee, smoke another cigarette, or have another glass of wine. While these habits may provide a temporary emotional release, they’re not a healthy solution in the long term.
Lavender’s Science-Proven Connection to Better Sleep
A more sustainable, healthy solution becomes necessary to deal with the side effects of stress. Lavender oil is a potent essential oil known for its remarkable healing properties. In fact, it contains over 150 active compounds, making lavender oil an effective antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, and sedation agent.
A number of studies have reported that lavender essential oil may be beneficial in a variety of health conditions, including insomnia, alopecia (hair loss), anxiety, stress, and postoperative pain. Lavender is also being studied for antibacterial and antiviral properties. – University of Maryland Medical Center
In a study conducted at the University of Florida, researchers discovered that lavender oil was effective in reducing anxiety and lowering pulse rates. Surgery patients that underwent lavender-based aromatherapy reported a marked decrease in stress levels before their procedure. This study is a testament to the powerful sedative properties of lavender oil.
Further, lavender essential oil contains anti-depressive properties and promotes sound sleep. These are critical elements in lavender that can aid in keeping stress and its troublesome side effects at bay.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil
Besides sleep, here are some other benefits of lavender essential oil, as discovered in clinical studies:
- Lavender aromatherapy increased pain tolerance in children and adults.
- Alleviation of depressed mood and anxiety in female patients undergoing dialysis treatment.
- Patients’ test results showed decreased anxiety and increased alertness levels after olfactory administration of lavender oil.
- Improved mood states and a healthier work environment were reported by hospital staff when burning lavender incense.
- Decreased stress and anxiety levels measured in brain patterns of patients hospitalized in the intensive care unit.
Despite its healthy, robust nature, lavender is well-received by the human body. Therefore, it is a perfect essential oil for consumption. This brings us to the ideal concoction to help alleviate stress-related headaches and anxiety: lavender lemonade.
Here’s how lavender lemonade can help with headaches and anxiety:
As an easy reference, drinking lavender lemonade can help alleviate a multitude of symptoms, including the following:
- Depression and anxiety
- High blood pressure
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping
Apart from drinking the concoction, lavender essential oil independently serves various other medicinal purposes. The multiple properties of lavender make it perfect for the following needs:
- Anti-fungal: as a natural remedy for common skin and nail infections.
- Antiseptic: cleaning the skin of germs and other organisms.
- Antibacterial: destroying or suppressing the growth of bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reducing inflammation in various parts of the body.
- Antimicrobial: killing or inhibiting illness-causing microorganisms.
- Antispasmodic: alleviation of spasms, including of the muscles.
- Analgesic: reduction of a variety of pain-related symptoms.
- Detoxifier: cleansing the blood, purifying both the liver and kidneys.
Now that we understand the various medicinal and holistic health benefits of the essential oil lavender, we’ll detail how to make a simple, tasty mix of lavender lemonade.
Lavender lemonade is a perfect refresher. The sweet, tart taste of lemonade combines with raw honey to create a cold drink that satisfies the palette. In fact, it’s a perfect drink to complement any meal, day or night. Enjoy the beverage daily or when experiencing symptoms taxing to the mind and body.
Recipe to Make Lavender Lemonade
- 1 cup of raw honey
- 12 cups of pure water
- One drop of lavender essential oil
- Six lemons
- Lavender sprigs for garnish (if desired)
Peel and juice the six fresh lemons. Thoroughly mix all ingredients and chill. Of course, you may adjust to desired taste by adding more water or honey.