Body positivity means accepting our bodies in our current state. It means putting aside preconceived notions of what we “should” look like. When we feel like we are too thin or too overweight, we are putting a great deal of pressure on ourselves to conform to society’s standards. Body positivity can help us get past these negative feelings and show us a new way to love ourselves.
It can be difficult at first to practice body positivity. Body positivity quotes can help you remember what is truly important and help you move forward in your life with joy. Even famous celebrities have struggled with their own body image. They share their wisdom in these body positivity quotes.
16 Quotes about Body Positivity from Celebrities to Help You Change Your Attitude
1. “I love how I look. I am a full woman and I’m strong, and I’m powerful, and I’m beautiful at the same time.”
— Serena Williams
2. “Before I made this record, I was doing everything to try to get my music heard. I tried to lose weight, I was making awful music. It was only until I started being myself did the music start to flow and people start to listen.”
— Sam Smith
3. “Everything we see that’s labeled as beautiful is very skinny. In the song, I kind of say, ‘F*** them skinny girls.’ But it’s all love…I went overboard with the video to show that I’m not going to hide. And those big-booty dancers I have, they’re not going to hide. Black girls should feel sexy, powerful and important too.”
— Nicki Minaj
4. “You’re a human being, you live once and life is wonderful, so eat the damn red velvet cupcake.”
5. “I don’t really care what I look like that much. And I think that women out there should just be happy with how they look and they shouldn’t really try to conform to any stereotype. Just be happy and hopefully healthy.”
— Rebel Wilson
6. “This is who I am. I am proud at any size. And I love you, and want you to be proud in any form you may take as well.”
— Lady Gaga
7. “We live in a day and age where people make it impossible for women, men, anyone to embrace themselves exactly how they are. Diversity is sexy! Loving yourself is sexy! You know what is not sexy? Misogyny, objectifying, labeling, comparing and body shaming! Talking about people’s bodies as if they’re on display asking for your approval / opinion. They are not! Celebrate yourself. Celebrate others. The things that make us different from one another make us beautiful.”
— Ariana Grande
8. “I’m not going to sacrifice my mental health to have the perfect body.”
9. “Appearance has so little to do with where we should get our confidence from.”
10. “I’ve never wanted to look like the models on the covers of magazines. I represent the majority of women and I’m very proud of that.”
11. “I definitely have body issues, but everybody does. When you come to the realization that everybody does—even the people that I consider flawless—then you can start to live with the way you are.”
— Taylor Swift
12. “I am not a woman whose self-worth comes from her dress size.”
13. ”My limbs work, so I’m not going to complain about the way my body is shaped.”
14. “I want to be the person who feels great in her body and can say that she loves it and doesn’t want to change anything.”
15. “I’m pretty comfortable with my body. I’m imperfect. The imperfections are there. People are going to see them, but I take the view you only live once.”
16. “The female body is something that’s so beautiful. I wish women would be proud of their bodies and not diss other women for being proud of theirs!”
— Christina Aguilera
Body positivity is a crucial part of reaching peace with ourselves. When we practice body positivity, we learn to accept our flaws and imperfections as a part of ourselves. Everyone looks at himself or herself through a critical eye. Let go of your wishes to change your body shape and accept the body you have right now.
Society has strict and punishing guidelines about how we should look. Body positivity is liberating for both men and women and is a step toward better mental and emotional health.