Going through a breakup is hard, especially if you haven’t gotten closure yet. When you want to find comfort, it can be hard to do at first. Luckily, there’s lots of comfort and wisdom found in the words of others because many people have experienced breakups before.
It’s essential that you find closure, whether you broke up with someone or the other person ended the relationship. Your life changes either way, and there will likely be some pain, regret, or rumination during your journey. However, the sooner you find closure, the sooner you can find happiness again.
Quotes are a powerful method for overcoming the experience and helping you move forward. It allows you to readjust and cope with the change, giving you the inspiration that you need to move in the right direction. When you refocus on the positive things in your life, you’ll find purpose once again.
Moving on is a process, but you aren’t alone in it, as these quotes will prove. Remember that many other people have gone through it before, and they found happiness again. These quotes can help you get through the process of letting go and finding mental closure after a breakup.
Fifteen Quotes for Mental Closure After Ending a Romantic Relationship
1. “It is always important to know when something has reached its end. Closing circles, shutting doors, finishing chapters, it doesn’t matter what we call it; what matters is to leave in the past those moments in life that are over.” – Paulo Coelho
A crucial step in finding happiness again is recognizing when the relationship is over. Once you’ve acknowledged the fact, make an effort to leave the past alone. The moment is over, so don’t reach out through texts or phone calls, and let go of anything that brings you back.
2. “Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” – Dalai Lama
While it might not feel like it at the time, not getting what you thought you wanted is sometimes a good thing. When something doesn’t work out, it means that there is someone better for you out there. Life changes are unavoidable after a breakup, so you’ll likely encounter new experiences and opportunities, too.
3. “There’s a trick to a ‘graceful exit.’ It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, or a relationship is over – and let it go. It means leaving what’s over without denying its validity or its past importance to our lives. It involves a sense of future, a belief that every exit line is an entry, that we are moving up, rather than out.” – Ellen Goodman
A graceful exit can make the healing process more manageable, as you won’t have so much to regret in the end. When it’s time to part with someone, don’t get stuck in denial or waste time ruminating on the past with your ex. Instead, focus on the future and remember that something greater is coming.
4. “Ending something, whether it’s a dream, a goal, a friendship, a relationship, or a tie with someone, is always hard. Always sad. There’s a lingering regret of what went wrong and questions that will never be answered. But I came to realize that as a page of my life ends with them, somewhere, somehow, a new chapter is waiting to start.” – Unknown
There will be a little sadness involved, no matter how things end. At one point in your life, your ex was an essential person in your life, and you’ll likely think back to those times. You will also likely think of what went wrong and wonder why things happened the way they did.
Your questions won’t always get answered, so you must learn to accept not knowing. Learn to look at the situation differently and think of it as a new chapter that you get to experience in your life. Thinking of it this way will help you with finding happiness again.
5. “One of the best times for figuring out who you are and what you really want out of life? Right after a breakup.” – Mandy Hale
As Hale explains, the best time to learn about yourself is after a breakup. When your relationship ends, you’ll begin thinking about things differently, and your life will change significantly.
You can reevaluate what you want in your life and start making the changes right away. With no one to tell you otherwise, you are free to start fresh and make your life whatever you want it. Plus, you can spend time reflecting and figuring out your deepest goals and desires.
6. “Closure happens right after you accept that letting go and moving on is more important than projecting a fantasy of how the relationship could have been.” – Sylvester McNutt
When you accept that your relationship is over, it offers the closure you’ve been looking for. Accept things as they are right now, and focus on moving forward instead. Don’t waste time or energy imagining how the relationship could have been because your reality is right in front of you.
7. “Don’t dwell on what went wrong. Instead, focus on what to do next. Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.” – Denis Waitley
Dwelling on what went wrong in your relationship won’t help you move forward. Instead, follow Waitley’s advice and focus on what to do next in your life. When you think about your next step, you can move on and find happiness again.
8. “It all begins and ends in your mind. What you give power to has power over you.” – Leon Brown
Your mind is powerful, so focus on what you want for your life. If you want to be happy, focus on happiness and make sure your thoughts align with it. Please don’t focus on your pain, anger, or other negativity because it’ll take over your mind. If you ever need a reminder, use this quote for mindful inspiration.
9. “Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself.” – Deborah Reber
When a relationship ends, it’s sometimes hard to let go because you still care for the other person. However, as Reber explains, you can let go and still care about someone. You can’t control the other person, but you can control yourself. So, even if you still care for the other person, you must let go and move on to find happiness again.
10. “If you really want closure… at some point, you have to shut the door.” – Jacki Wells Wunderlin
You can’t keep looking back and hoping for things to be different. Moving on requires shutting the door on your past and moving forward toward something else.
11. “It was strange, really. A couple of months ago, I had thought I couldn’t live without him. Apparently, I could.” – Gabrielle Zevin
This powerful quote is a reminder that you can live without your ex. No matter how much you loved your ex, you can get through it and find happiness again.
12. “Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have – life itself.” – Walter Anderson
Life doesn’t always go the way you hoped it would, but you must accept things as they come. When you can release the negative feelings and embrace life as it is, you’ll feel much better.
13. “The end of a relationship is not always a failure. Sometimes all the love in the world is not enough to save something. In these cases, it is not a matter of fault from either person. Some things cannot be, it’s as simple as that.” – Ashly Lorenzana
As Lorenzana explains, the end of a relationship doesn’t indicate failure. Instead, it only shows you that this person isn’t the one for you. Don’t beat yourself up over what you could have done differently because sometimes it just wasn’t meant to be.
14. “Someday, you’re gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You’ll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
When you’re in mourning, it’s hard to see that things will ever get better. Remember this quote and know that someday you’ll look back and see that this time in your life isn’t all bad. As your heart breaks, you’re at the beginning of something great.
15. “Ends are not bad things, they just mean that something else is about to begin.” – C. Joybell C.
The end of your relationship doesn’t signify a lousy situation. Instead, it means that you’re going to experience something even better. Your life is changing hugely, so embrace the moment and allow yourself to be happy again.
Final Thoughts on Quotes for Mental Closure After a Relationship and Be Happy Again
Finding mental closure after a relationship ends can be tricky, and you might feel like you’ll never be happy again. However, many people have gone through it before and found that it was a blessing in their life. Follow their advice and remember their words of encouragement to help you get through.
It’s normal to grieve the end of a relationship, but don’t beat yourself up over what went wrong. Instead, pick up the pieces and move forward in your life. Before you know it, you’ll realize that you’re happy again.