Cauliflower bites or “wings” have become popular among vegans and those who want a healthier alternative to chicken wings. Whether you have gone meatless or not, you will surely enjoy this tasty spin on buffalo wings. This dish packs the flavor while providing health benefits, making it the perfect afternoon snack.
Even if you’re not the biggest fan of cauliflower, you may change your mind after trying this recipe! Trust us – you won’t even notice you’re eating a vegetable once you bite into these savory cauliflower bites.
How to make delicious baked buffalo cauliflower bites
Whether you make them for the big game or just an after-work snack, we promise these won’t disappoint!
Gather these kitchen supplies:
- Large mixing bowl
- Smaller bowl
- Cutting board
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small pot
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup milk (plant-based or dairy)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium cauliflower
- 1 cup sriracha sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- Greek yogurt, ranch, or blue cheese dressing for dipping (or whatever sauce you like)
- First, get out the large bowl and pour in the all-purpose flour. Next, add in the paprika, garlic powder, curry powder, and salt & pepper. Use the whisk to blend the ingredients.
- Now, pour in the 1/2 cup of milk and 3/4 cup of water, blending again with the whisk.
- Next, grab your cutting board and chop up the cauliflower. Start by cutting off the leaves, then cut the cauliflower head in half.
- Then, lay the cauliflower halves down and cut them into quarters. Angle your knife to cut the core out of the cauliflower, then pull apart the florets.
- For the next step, pour your breadcrumbs into a small bowl.
- Dip the cauliflower bites into the bowl with the sauce, covering them thoroughly.
- Next, please put them in the breadcrumbs, turning them over to coat completely.
- Repeat with all the florets, then place the cauliflower bites onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- In a small saucepot, pour in the sriracha sauce and butter. Keep the heat on low, cooking until the butter is melted. Stir with a spatula until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Pour the buffalo sauce over the cauliflower bites, using the spatula to coat thoroughly.
- Transfer them back to the baking sheet, cooking at 400 degrees F for another 15 minutes.
- Put whatever dipping sauce you’d like in a small bowl, and top with parsley or chives.
- Plate the cauliflower bites along with the sauce, and enjoy!
These cauliflower bites will easily fool your omnivorous friends because they look just like chicken wings! While they may have a different texture, the plentiful spices and sauce do well to cover up the crunchiness. Vegans and meat-eaters alike will love this healthy snack.
Why these buffalo cauliflower bites are healthier than chicken wings
Most chicken wings that you find at bars and sports lounges are deep-fried and coated in sugary sauces. They may taste delicious, but they usually leave you feeling heavy and bloated. On the other hand, these cauliflower bites are baked instead of fried, eliminating a lot of calories from oil.
The recipe does contain sugar from the milk, butter, and sriracha sauce. However, as long as you eat a reasonable serving, your sugar intake will be minimal. Chicken wings contain protein, but the high salt and sugar content in this popular bar food counteracts the benefits. Cauliflower doesn’t have a lot of protein, but it offers other impressive benefits.
Health benefits of cauliflower bites:
Cauliflower contains many important nutrients. In just one cup of cauliflower, you’ll get 77% of the RDI of Vitamin C. It also contains 20% of the RDI of Vitamin K and 11% of Vitamin B6. Folate is found in abundance in cauliflower as well – one cup contains 14% of the RDI.
- It also has a lot of fiber, which improves digestion and promotes healthy gut bacteria.
- Cauliflower is rich in antioxidants, which slows the growth of cancer and reduces inflammation. One antioxidant in particular called sulforaphane helps lower blood pressure and improve artery health, preventing heart disease.
- These cauliflower bites are low in carbs, making them perfect for anyone on a keto or paleo diet. One cup of cauliflower only has 5 carbs, which explains why it’s a popular replacement for pizza crust or rice.
- In addition to the actual cauliflower, the spices used in this recipe contain many health benefits. Paprika, curry powder, and garlic powder all have antioxidants, which help to reduce bodily inflammation.
- The milk and butter in the recipe contain moderate amounts of protein and calcium. These dairy products also have many vitamins, namely A, B12, D, E, and K2.
- Despite the sugar content in a cup of Sriracha sauce (about 50 grams), it can boost your health in surprising ways. Many of the benefits are thanks to garlic and capsaicin, a phytochemical found in the red chili peppers used to make the sauce. Reduced blood pressure and blood clots, improved circulation, and fewer colds have all been linked to sriracha. It may also help improve allergy symptoms, as spicy foods open your sinuses.
No matter if you’re a meat-eater or a vegan, you will love this unique take on chicken wings. They taste very similar to the bar staple and have a positive effect on your health. Low in carbs and high in protein and fat, this snack is perfect for anyone on a keto or paleo diet. However, anyone can enjoy this snack, no matter what diet you’re on – it’s universally delicious!
You can find many recipes for buffalo cauliflower bites, but we like this one because it has two different sauces. This makes them extra juicy and tangy and really kicks the flavor up a notch! We hope you enjoy these savory cauliflower bites!