Want to be happier? Help make someone else feel special.
“Your greatness is measured by your kindness, your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.” – William J.H. Boetcker
It is easy to get lost in what we need to do to get through our day. Our to-do list often takes center stage but it is when we look towards serving others that living our life goes to the next level.
Here are 101 random acts of kindness that surely will make someone feel blessed.
Random Acts of Kindness To Make Your Community Feel Blessed
- Become an organ donor.
- Pick up some trash.
- Serve food at a food bank.
- Donate blood.
- Donate to a charity
- Offer to teach a life skill at your local school.
- Give a homeless person a clean blanket.
- Plant a tree or some herbs at a community park or garden.
- Share important causes on social media.
- Buy a newly-released book for the library.
- Start a drive for school supplies.
- Leave blankets where the homeless hang out.
- Offer to collect donations from your neighbors and take to a local charity.
- Donate your time to story hour at a local hospital.
- Organize a graffiti clean up crew.
- Volunteer at a polling place.
- Compliment a service worker to their boss.
- Donate adoption and service fees to a local shelter.
- Pick a favorite trail and adopt it by keeping it clean and raising funds to preserve it.
- Pull weeds during a walk.
- Thank city workers when you see them.
- Bring dinner to first responders during an emergency.
- Start a kindness bartering system.
- Become a mentor.
- Volunteer at the local College Resource Center.
- Create a community board to help solicit volunteers for local causes.
Random Acts of Kindness That Make Family and Friends Feel Blessed
- Send a photograph to a grandparent.
- Forgive someone.
- Take your neighbor’s trash bins in.
- Tell a friend she’s beautiful.
- Be quick to apologize.
- Find ways to help someone.
- Put a love note in someone’s lunch or in their coat pocket.
- Invite a friend to dinner.
- Offer to babysit.
- Give a friend of framed photo of the two of you.
- Write someone thank you for being a friend note.
- Borrow a friend’s car and get it cleaned.
- Hug someone for no reason.
- Send a postcard.
- Drop a meal off at a friend’s house.
- Call and tell someone you love them.
- Tell someone what you like about them.
- Send someone a care package with things you made by hand.
- Send a gift card to someone who needs cheering up.
- Tell your boss why you like working with them.
- Create a family and friends cookbook.
- Buy two books, one for you and one for a friend.
- Put a family story to paper and frame it.
- Organize a week’s worth of meals for friends going through a tough time.
- Do a chore for someone without asking.
- Upon return from a trip, fill someone’s refrigerator with some necessities.
- Rake your neighbor’s yard.
- Organize a neighborhood potluck.
Random Acts of Kindness That Make Strangers Feel Blessed
- Smile at the people you pass.
- Add money to an expired meter.
- Leave your change.
- Start a conversation with someone new.
- Hold the door.
- Pay for someone behind you.
- Allow someone to go ahead of you.
- Tell a stranger their child is beautiful.
- Give up your seat.
- Use your server’s name.
- Take your mom, dad or both out to dinner.
- Compliment someone for no reason.
- Leave your mail carrier a thank you note and a bottle of water.
- Wave hello to as many people as you can.
- Say hello and make eye contact.
- Stop and offer help to someone on the side of the road.
- Offer to help load groceries.
- Pay for a stranger’s meal.
- Buy a bunch of balloons and hand them out at a park.
- Buy an extra meal and give it to a homeless person.
Random Acts of Kindness … Just Because
- Say please, thank you and you’re welcome all day.
- Be happy for someone else’s achievements.
- Stop and pet a dog.
- Tape a coupon to a product.
- Hang a bird feeder outside our neighbor’s window
- Smile when talking on the phone.
- Leave a book behind.
- Make art and give it away.
- Pick up the tab.
- Bring cookies to work.
- Leave a big tip.
- Buy an extra treat in the vending machine and leave it.
- Put your phone away and look at the other person when talking.
- Give someone the benefit of the doubt.
- Let someone cut in front of you in line.
- Let cars merge into your lane.
- Genuinely compliment others.
- Listen and be a kind voice.
- Change the tone of a negative conversation.
- Defend someone when they are being gossiped about.
- Offer your friendship to some new in town.
- Bring in your neighbor’s trash cans.
- Have a real conversation with someone who is serving you.
- Help out at your child’s school.
- Keep an extra umbrella handy to loan out on rainy days.
- Be on time.
- Let someone else steal your parking spot.
In the end, the very best way to make others feel blessed is to bring a positive outlook to every encounter, to think of how you can serve others, and most importantly to be kind. All of these things will leave a positive impact on people you know and even those you don’t, but the biggest impact will be on you.