As a highly sensitive person, you encounter people daily who don’t understand how hurtful their words are to others. You are a person who feels every little thing very deeply. Sometimes it feels as if others don’t seem to share this same quality. These people may seem overwhelming to your sensitivity.
Remember that being an HSP is your superpower! So let these fifteen quotes serve as proof that you can love your unique sensitivity.
15 Quotes to Demonstrate Why You Can Love Your Sensitivity
1. “To feel intensely is not a symptom of weakness.” – Anonymous
Many people seem to think that it’s a sign of weakness to show emotion. However, that’s not the case. Sensitivity is a sign of strength. It takes a lot of emotional strength to allow yourself to feel so intensely. People only see it as a weakness because of the archaic views of masculinity. Don’t fall victim to these silly, old-fashioned ideas.
2. “We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain.” – Alan Watts
People who are able to experience pain are more in tune with the pleasures of life, too. The sky is bluer and the cake tastes sweeter. You can laugh at someone for being sensitive all you want. The person making fun of the empath is probably just jealous that they can’t experience all of those feelings as well. Sensitivity is a blessing. Not a burden.
3. “Sensitive people never like the fatigue of justifying their instincts.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
Sensitive people cannot help experiencing their emotions. Yet people often expect them to defend their feelings as if they weren’t born that way. It’s a part of their nature. It’s as simple as that. There isn’t more to say. Yet, people insist on an answer that isn’t there. Don’t bother defending yourself. Just say that you prefer to not focus your energy on defending yourself any further.
4. “Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.” – Edgar Allan Poe
Some people may be so sensitive that the pictures we see in nature can bring them to tears. That’s because the majesty of the world is so beautiful and intense. Nature is a marvelous thing. It can make us feel close to God and the universe. When we are one with nature, we understand that our emotions are just a part of that beautiful experience.
5. “It is because I think so much of warm and sensitive hearts, that I would spare them from being wounded.” – Charles Dickens
Instead of focusing on the rudeness of the other person, it’s a good idea to try and set a good example. One way to set a good example is to respond with dignity and grace when someone is dismissive, rude, or condescending. Explaining that you appreciate these people demonstrates character. After all, that is why you aren’t as rude as the other person. They are already emotional, so you don’t need to attack them.
6. “It is usually the imagination that is wounded first, rather than the heart; it being much more sensitive.” – Henry David Thoreau
Epmaths tend to be creative and artistic. When someone hurts an emotional person, it hurts their heart. However, it hurts the imagination even more. This attack of the imagination can prevent the person from creating and bringing beauty into the world. No one should inhibit the creative mind since art is a social necessity and a benefit to everyone.
7. “God’s heart is the most sensitive and tender of all. No act goes unnoticed, no matter how insignificant or small.” – Richard J. Foster
Making fun of a sensitive person is silly since the Creator is one of the most sensitive people of all. Our Creator knows and sees everything, no matter how small. Sensitive people pay attention to all of their feelings just as God pays attention to everything. These emotions are also a part of the world that the Universe created. We need to appreciate every part of creation, including laughter and tears.
8. “Those who are critical don’t like being criticized, and those who are insensitive have a deficiency in their senses.” – Suzy Kassem
It’s sad if someone cannot experience sensitivity. It’s as if a part of them isn’t working properly. They aren’t able to feel some of the things that other people feel naturally. They will miss out on these feelings. Empathy is a sign that your feelings are intact. This is a good thing.
9. “Be sensitive to the plight of others. You have to know about the tragedies as well as the triumphs, the failures as well as the success.” – Jim Rohn
We are all complicated humans. When you meet someone, you should not judge them right away. They might be going through a difficult time. You don’t want what they went through along the way to get them where they are, though. If you listened to their story and tried to empathize, you may understand a little better. It may help you connect to people.
10. “Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.” – Emily Post
Many people think manners are all about whether or not you put your elbows on the table. Etiquette expert Emily Post tells us it’s about a lot more than that. True manners come from being mindful of the feelings of others. That makes a good host as well as a good human being.
11. “The struggle of life is one of our greatest blessings. It makes us patient, sensitive, and Godlike. It teaches us that although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
Sensitivity allows someone to experience pain. However, this pain could actually be a good thing. It gives us strength in order to get through the next pain that comes our way. We also find beauty of getting through obstacles in life.
12. “If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.” – Henry David Thoreau
Some people scoff at others’ dreams in life. They laugh and say the dreams are unattainable or silly. However, it’s important for everyone to chase their dreams. If someone makes fun of someone chasing their dreams, it just shows that they don’t have such high aspirations. The other person should continue to pursue their dreams despite what anyone else says. As long as they continue to chase their dreams, they will be a success. It doesn’t matter what anyone else has to say. Of course, it’s okay to clap back at someone for being unsupportive.
13. “The struggle of my life created empathy – I could relate to pain, being abandoned, having people not love me.” – Oprah Winfrey
Many people who understand pain understand they must be more diplomatic. It can be that real pain that brings out kindness and makes us sensitive ourselves, as well. Embracing your pain will help you embrace other people. When someone is insensitive, it is likely because they haven’t experienced the same type of pain. Sometimes it takes a similar pain for people to understand each other. People become sensitive to things that they understand. When you want to reach an insensitive person, you need to find out what brings the emotions out of them.
14. “This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.” – Dalai Lama
You don’t need to explain why you are sensitive. However, if you do need to explain, get deep. You live by certain principles. One of those principles is kindness. Convince others to live by this philosophy as well. Demonstrate with your actions. In the end, even if people don’t follow your lead, you will know that you did your part to spread love and happiness into the world.
15. “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” – Mother Teresa
You should strive with every encounter you have for you and the other person to exit the conversation feeling good. You can do this by simply being positive yourself and by demonstrating sensitivity while talking. If someone else does get insensitive and leave with negativity in their heart, that’s on them. You can walk away happy as long as you know that you did your part to make the experience positive.
Final Thoughts on Quotes That Prove Your Sensitivity Is Special
The world is full of different people. The fact that we are all so different is one of the beautiful aspects of life. Some people won’t be as sensitive as others. Remember these fifteen quotes when you must interact with those who lack sensitivity.