Personality quizzes have become so popular in social media these days. It seems that when it comes to learning about ourselves, we can’t get enough.
Relational psychology theory is based on the interaction of human beings. People do not exist in isolation. They interact with many people and their psychological well-being comes mainly from having meaningful relationships with others.
A relational psychotherapist seeks to help clients grow through strong connections to others. The practitioner looks at the many aspects of our social context and how they impact the client. These can include your race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family, religion, culture, class and your perceptions of the importance of these.
How Much Can a Personality Quiz Really Tell Me About Myself?
This type of test asks you to visualize yourself going for a walk in the woods with a person, and reacting to things around you. Your visualization reflects how you would likely act in that situation. Your predictions of your own behavior in this situation give you a small amount of insight into your personality.
Your deepest thoughts, feelings, morals and beliefs are not going to be revealed in this test. People most often respond strongly to the interpretation of their response to the last question. Often, they feel defensive as this is a private topic and the interpretation can feel like a judgment is being made.
If you feel this way about the last question, it is revealing about your feelings about society’s expectations of you. How comfortable do you feel with the topic? Are you repressing feelings because of social convention?
Am I Normal?
This psychology test is not going to diagnose any major psychological problems. It would not help identify psychotic behavior because you don’t have an impartial observer to analyze your results.
You can ask yourself, ‘If a normal person read how I responded to this psychology test, would they think I was normal?’ If the answer is yes, then you should have a fairly normal personality. You can also ask the question and this time imagine that a licensed psychotherapist was reading your results. How would they respond?
A Walk In The Woods – Relational Psychology Test
This is a guided imagery personality test. Either write down your responses to the questions or just remember them for the interpretation at the end. Don’t skip ahead to read the analysis of the answers first; do the test first, then read the results.
Picture yourself walking through a forest.
1. Who are you walking with?
As you continue on in your walk through the forest, you come across an animal.
2. What kind of animal is it?
You approach the animal.
3. What does the animal do?
You’re walking deeper into the woods and you come to a clearing. There’s a house in the middle of the clearing.
4. How big is the house? Is it fenced in or not?
As you walk up to the door of the home you see that it is open. You enter and see a table.
5. Describe what you see on and around the table.
As you leave out the back door, you find a cup.
6. What is the cup made out of? What do you do with the cup?
As you walk to the end of the clearing, you find yourself at a body of water.
7. What kind of body of water is it?
You must cross this water in order to get home.
8. How wet do you get crossing the water?
Analysis of Your Answers
1. The person you were walking with is an important person in your life.
2. The size of the animal you come across is a representation of your perception of the size of your current problems.
3. The way in which you approach the animal represents how you handle your problems. You are seen as either active or passive toward your problems.
4. The size of your home is representative of the size of your ambitions.
If there was no fence around the home, it means you tend to be more open to other people. If there was a fence, then you tend to exclude others.
5. If the table was empty, (no food, people, or flowers) it may indicate some unhappiness in your life.
6. How durable the cup you found was is representative of how strong your relationship is with the person that you were walking with. What you do with it is representative of your attitude toward that person.
7. The size of the body of water is related to the size of your sexual drive or desire for intimacy.
8. If you became very wet crossing the water, it indicates that intimacy is important to you. If not very wet, it may mean that it’s less important.
If you are troubled by your results from this quiz, you can seek the help of a licensed counselor in your area here to speak to about your concerns.