Everyone finds themselves overthinking sometimes, but you must find a way out of that mindset. These quotes about overthinking can help you overcome that issue, helping you move forward in life.
Overthinking can stand in the way of your success and happiness in life. It can cause you to think you aren’t good enough or that you aren’t heading in the right direction in life. Plus, overthinking can cause problems with your friends, loved ones, and co-workers.
Don’t let overthinking become a problem in your life. Find ways to overcome the urge and distract yourself when necessary. Use these quotes about overthinking to help you keep your thoughts focused on important things.
Fifteen Quotes About Overthinking
Think of these quotes when you start ruminating.
1. “Overthinking will not empower you over things that are beyond your control. So, let it be if it is meant to be and cherish the moment.” – Mahsati A
When things are out of your control, overthinking will not help you. Instead, let go of the things you can’t control and focus only on the present. By doing this, you can let go of the past and begin to live a happy life without overthinking.
2. “Spend eighty percent of your time focusing on the opportunities of tomorrow rather than the problems of yesterday.” – Brian Tracy
Thinking about problems that happened in the past takes your focus away from the important things in your life. Instead of overthinking about what has already happened, be present in the current moment. If you spend most of your time focusing on new opportunities, you won’t overthink as often anymore.
3. “Overthinking ruins friendships and relationships. Overthinking creates problems you never had. Don’t overthink, just overflow with good vibes”. – Unknown
When you overthink, you will convince yourself of things that aren’t true. You will begin to think that your friends and loved ones don’t like you or are only tolerating you. Plus, you might think that the people who care about you are out to get you, even when they aren’t.
Overthinking can also cause you to create problems for yourself. Things that wouldn’t have been an issue could become a real problem if you think about it too much. Instead of overthinking, try to focus on the positivity around you.
4. “You can’t be that kid standing at the top of the waterslide, overthinking it. You have to go down the chute.”- Tina Fey
If you overthink everything, you will miss out on so much. Don’t be the one who misses out because you were too busy thinking a situation through. Follow Fey’s advice and do whatever it is you are thinking about doing.
5. “The more you overthink, the less you will understand.” – Habeeb Akande
While thinking things through can help you understand, overthinking does the opposite. When you overthink, you will begin to confuse yourself. This is because as you overthink things, the facts get mixed with your negative thoughts and feelings.
6. “Sometimes, you overthink things so much that you ruin something before it even begins, then you beat yourself up, replaying everything to your friends and in your mind.”- Kirsten Corley
Overthinking things can cause you to ruin a situation that would have otherwise been great. It causes you to develop a negative feeling toward it, or it causes feelings of anxiety. Then, you find yourself behaving in ways you didn’t intend to or causes you not to enjoy yourself.
If this has happened to you, then you probably relate to Corley’s explanation. Once the situation is over, you realize you overthought things and created an unnecessary problem.
7. “I think and think and think, I’ve thought myself out of happiness one million times, but never once into it.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
Overthinking will never help you find happiness. Instead, it will only cause you to move further away from a happy mindset. Give yourself a chance at happiness by refraining from overthinking about things.
8. “We can easily manage if we will only take, each day, the burden appointed to it. But the load will be too heavy for us if we carry yesterday’s burden over again today, and then add the burden of the morrow before we are required to bear it.” – John Newton
If you continue to think about the problems that happened in the past, you will hold yourself back. Life is much easier and more enjoyable if you focus only on the present day. Deal with things as they come, and don’t continue thinking about what has already happened.
9. “If you keep thinking about what you want to do or what you hope will happen, you don’t do it, and it won’t happen.” – Desiderius Erasmus
Thinking about things won’t help you accomplish them. Act on what you want to do because otherwise, you will never reach your goals. Once you have decided what needs to be done, get started on doing it and stop thinking about it.
10. “My mother said the cure for thinking too much about yourself was helping somebody who was worse off than you.” – Sylvia Plath
When you can’t stop overthinking about something, shift your focus to something else. By helping others, you can forget your problems and the things that are overtaking your mind.
Not only can serving others take your mind off your immediate problems, but it also helps long term. The more often you help others, the less you will find yourself overthinking. This comes with the realization that your problems aren’t as bad as you once thought.
11. “Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn’t get you anywhere.” – Van Wilder
While worrying and overthinking can make you feel like you are active, it is only an illusion. These behaviors keep you stuck in the same place when you could be moving forward. Please don’t allow yourself to become stuck in one place because you can’t stop thinking and worrying about it.
12. “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.” – Winston Churchill
You don’t want to find yourself with the mindset of the man described in this quote about overthinking. When you reach the end of your life, make sure you have happy memories and not moments of regret. Instead of overthinking and creating more trouble for yourself, focus on being present in each moment.
13. “Stop worrying about what tomorrow may bring. Focus on what you can control. Stay positive. Enjoy today. Expect good things to come.” – Karen Salmansohn
You can worry about tomorrow when it comes. For now, focus on today and what it has in store for you. Determine the things that you can control or change, and forget about the rest.
With this mindset, you can enjoy each day and experience many new things. You won’t find yourself overthinking every detail of your life because you will be busy enjoying what is happening right now.
14. “Don’t think. It complicates things. Just feel, and if it feels like home, then follow its path.” – R.M. Drake
Thinking can make everything more complicated than it needs to be. Instead of overthinking everything, focus on how you are feeling. If you feel comfortable and like you are home, as Drake explains, then you are on the right path.
15. “Don’t overthink things. Sometimes you can convince your head not to listen to your heart. Those are the decisions you regret for the rest of your life.” – Leah Braemel
Pay attention to what you feel in your heart, and don’t let negative overthinking ruin that. If you listen to what your brain tells you all the time, you won’t reach your full potential.
Follow your heart and know that the things you are passionate about are what you should be going after. Overthinking will leave you feeling confused and cause you to let go of what your heart wants. Don’t leave yourself with massive regret because you overthought something you truly wanted.
Final Thoughts on Remember These Quotes That Can Help Every Overthinking Person Break the Cycle
As these quotes about overthinking explained, thinking things through too much can be a problem. It can interfere with your life in many ways, and it can cause you to think about things that aren’t true. You deserve to live a happy life with new opportunities and experiences, so don’t let overthinking hold you back.
As you go through your day, keep your thoughts on the present. Don’t let your thoughts go back to things that have already happened or linger on things you can’t control. Remember not to overthink things that haven’t happened yet, either, or you could create problems before it even happens.
These quotes about overthinking should help you break the habit. If you find yourself struggling, come back and re-read these quotes about overthinking to help you get through.