As we celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., we wish to reflect on the inspiring quotes and memorable words that have kept his spirit flame illuminating the world ever since that fateful day in April of 1968.
Here are 11 of our favorite inspiring quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. that have become life lessons for many of us:
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that”
- “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
- “The time is always right to do what is right.”
- “Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend.”
- “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.”
- “At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.”
- “Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.”
- “We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.”
- “We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.”
- “Forgiveness is not an occasional act. It is a permanent attitude.”
And of course, we can’t leave out the “I Have a Dream” speech that still echoes through our hearts today. Here it is:
Martin Luther King, Jr. will always be remembered for his role in the civil rights movement, the fearlessness in his eyes during the million person march on Washington, and the message of love and oneness that came directly from his heart. May we always remember Dr. King, and all of the amazing people who have come before us to help mold the world into a more peaceful, loving, positive place.