You might crave a keto smoothie if you’re trying to lose weight and lead a healthy lifestyle. Unlike regular smoothies loaded with tons of fruit and added sugars, these have plenty of fat to keep you satiated–a must for those who follow a ketogenic diet.
Carbohydrates provide a quick burst of energy, but it rapidly wears off, leaving you hungry after a short time. Protein and fat will help you stay full for a longer period, making the ketogenic diet appealing to many.
However, some people following the keto diet complain that it doesn’t provide enough variety. The ketogenic diet involves eating 20% or fewer calories from carbs and the remainder from fat and protein.
That means foods like meat, cheeses, seeds, nuts, and oils will make up most people’s calorie intake on a keto diet. Fruits and vegetables comprise a small portion of the meal plan to help maintain ketosis, a metabolic state where the body burns fat for energy instead of glucose.
The keto diet’s strict nature makes it difficult for some people to stick with it long-term. However, studies have shown that the ketogenic diet can promote weight loss, increase metabolism, and reduce blood glucose and cholesterol levels. The reward may be worth the sacrifice if you’re trying to lose weight and want to feel more energetic.
Here Are Five Keto Smoothie Ideas to Try
You don’t have to feel miserable or stuck in a food rut on a ketogenic diet — these keto smoothie recipes can add excitement to your meal plans.
1. Green Ketogenic Smoothie w/ Avocado, Lime, and Mint
When you drink anything green, you know it’s full of healthy ingredients and nutrients. This flavorful keto smoothie’s rich, creamy consistency will make it your new favorite breakfast or snack. Plus, it only requires a few ingredients and provides essential vitamins and minerals like potassium, calcium, and Vitamin C.
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 cup almond, soy, or cashew milk
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- stevia, monk fruit, or other preferred sugar substitute
- 4-5 mint leaves
- 3-4 sprigs of cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- one cup of ice
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender for a few minutes until thoroughly combined.
- Feel free to add green vegetables like spinach, kale, or protein powder for extra protein.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
2. Blueberry Vanilla Keto Smoothie
This keto smoothie looks beautiful and contains plenty of essential nutrients and antioxidants. Blueberries have some of the highest antioxidant content of any fruit, along with Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, and manganese. The recipe also includes healthy fats from coconut oil and coconut milk and a decent amount of protein from whatever protein powder you prefer. So, let’s get to the recipe!
- one cup of coconut, almond, or cashew milk
- 1/4 cup blueberries (or blackberries, raspberries, or strawberries)
- 1 tsp MCT oil or coconut oil (even avocados will work!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- one scoop of protein powder (optional but recommended)
- one cup of crushed ice
- Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender and mix for a few minutes.
- Add anything else you’d like, such as full-fat yogurt, greens, or extra protein powder.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint or shredded coconut flakes, and enjoy!
3. Strawberry Coconut Milk Keto Smoothie
This delicious keto recipe only requires four low-carb ingredients you probably already have at home. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, tart, and rich flavors that will easily make your taste buds dance! It contains vital nutrients like Vitamin C, potassium, and calcium. The keto smoothie recipe doesn’t call for protein powder, but feel free to add some if you’d like.
- one cup of frozen or fresh strawberries
- one cup of unsweetened coconut milk (not the kind in a can)
- 2 tbsp almond or other preferred nut butter
- optional low-carb sweetener
- Add all ingredients to a blender and mix until you have a smooth consistency. Add some ice to make it thicker if you’re using fresh strawberries.
- Add any extra ingredients like greens, protein powder, or vanilla extract.
- Pour into a glass and savor this refreshing smoothie!
4. Cocoa Mocha Ketogenic Smoothie
Don’t worry; we remembered all the coffee lovers out there. This recipe combines a few of the world’s favorite things to create a decadent yet healthy smoothie: chocolate, coffee, and avocado. You might think coffee and avocado sound strange together, but you won’t actually taste the avocado in the smoothie.
It contains a decent amount of Vitamin C, fiber, magnesium, potassium, and healthy fats. With 16g of fat per serving, it will keep you full throughout the morning and provide long-lasting energy.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk of your choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- low-carb sugar substitute to taste
- 2 tsp of instant decaf or regular coffee
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- one avocado
- Place all ingredients except the avocado into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Next, scoop out the avocado and add until thoroughly combined. Pour yourself a glass and enjoy!
5. Chocolate Milkshake Keto Smoothie
Finally, you can enjoy a chocolate milkshake without guilt! Regular milkshakes have tons of sugar and additives, but this one contains only seven ingredients and no added sugars. This smoothie provides omega-3 fats, fiber, and antioxidants from the chia seeds.
Dark chocolate also contains powerful antioxidants, iron, magnesium, and zinc. Finally, you’ll get a good dose of healthy fats from the coconut milk and protein from the protein powder you choose. Let’s get to the recipe!
- 1/2 can of full-fat coconut milk
- one scoop of protein powder
- 1 cup of preferred plant-based milk
- one tbsp ground chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla stevia
- 1/8 cup chopped dark chocolate (at least 85% cacao)
- one cup of ice
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until fully combined.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with coconut flakes or mint. Dessert for breakfast never tasted better, right?!
Final Thoughts on Delicious Keto Smoothie Recipes
If you’ve never tried a keto smoothie, you’re in for a treat! You don’t have to follow a ketogenic diet to enjoy these delicious smoothie recipes. Most of them only require a handful of ingredients and take a few minutes to whip up. And they have plenty of essential nutrients to give you the energy and brain power to get through your day.