Craft time allows you to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. It can help take your mind off stress for a while and tune back into yourself. Whether you’re making crafts with family, your significant other, or yourself, it’s an enjoyable pastime for the artsy folks out there.
Today, we’ll show you how to make a homemade ocean in a bottle. If you can’t go on a trip to see the ocean, you can bring it to you instead! It only requires a few tools and a little time. So on your next free afternoon, we hope you’ll try out this fun project. Note that this will involve several ideas using glass bottles; make one or all of them if you’re feeling extra creative!
How to make an ocean in a bottle (fun craft time project)
Are you ready to start? Let craft time begin!
Tools you’ll need:
- Cutting mat
- Piece of blank white paper
- Coffee (this will make sense in the directions, trust us!)
- Piece of cotton or a cloth
- Tealight candle
- Piece of twine
- Three tall glass bottles
- White sand
- Blue food coloring
- A bottle of baby oil
How to make a message in a bottle:
- First, grab your cutting mat and place the sheet of paper on top. Have your coffee and cotton/cloth handy as well.
- Next, dip the cotton ball or cloth into the coffee cup. Start rubbing the coffee on the piece of paper until it’s thoroughly coated. However, don’t put so much that it causes the paper to disintegrate. Place a thin layer on it, and let it dry for a few minutes.
- After it’s dried, write a note on the paper to make a “message in the bottle.” When you’re finished, burn some of the edges on the paper to add an old, weathered effect.
- If you want, place the paper slightly over the candle to add burn marks to the page. This will give a “lost at sea” feel to the whole thing. When you’re done with this step, the paper should look very tattered and worn.
- Next, dip the bottom of your coffee mug in water and place the imprint on a corner of the page. This is just another way to add some pizzazz to this fun craft time project!
- Now, roll up the wrinkled paper very thinly. Tie a piece of twine around it several times, and finish it off with a bow. Cut off any loose ends.
- Finally, grab one of the glass bottles and scoop a few spoonfuls of sand into the bottom. Next, add several seashells and your message on top. Seal it with a cork and enjoy this timeless craft idea! Place it on a shelf or table to decorate your home.