If you don’t already drink tea, you will probably want to after learning about the many benefits, especially when combined with cinnamon and turmeric to flush inflammation. These two ingredients plus green tea make for a nutritionally powerful drink, plus it tastes delicious! Below, we’ll go over the main health benefits of each ingredient first and then get into what you really want to know: how to make the tea!
Green tea’s powerful health benefits come from its high concentration of polyphenols – a potent antioxidant. This helps to neutralize free radicals (cell-damaging molecules) and fight chronic disease. With that said, green tea helps with the following:
– stabilizes blood sugar levels and prevents diabetes
– reduces inflammation in the gut that can cause diseases such as IBS or Crohn’s
– helps to prevent cancer
– lowers bad cholesterol and raises good cholesterol
– lowers risk of heart disease
– improves liver health
– aids in weight loss
– reduces inflammation
– improves cognitive functioning
These are only a few of the many science-backed benefits of green tea. Still not convinced that you should drink it? Well, read on to find out about the benefits of cinnamon and turmeric!
Astoundingly, researchers found that out of twenty-six of the most popular herbs and spices in the world, cinnamon comes in at #1 for its medicinal benefits and antioxidant levels! Here’s what cinnamon can do for your body:
– great source of manganese and calcium
– great source of antioxidants
– contains anti-inflammatory properties
– improves heart health
– fights diabetes
– protects brain function
– lowers cancer risk
– can fight allergies
– is a natural anti-fungal and anti-microbial agent
– boosts immune system
Turmeric has been used for over 4,000 years to treat a variety of conditions. Studies show that turmeric may help fight infections and some cancers, reduce inflammation, and treat digestive problems. – University of Maryland Medical Center
Here are the six main benefits of turmeric:
– reduces inflammation
– reduces cancer risk
– aids digestion
– promotes brain and heart health
– helps to alleviate arthritis symptoms
Now that you know about these powerful natural ingredients, let’s get into how to make the tea!
How to make cinnamon turmeric iced tea:
- 1-2 Tbsp. black or green looseleaf tea (or a tea bag, depending on how you want to make it)
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp.+ stevia, honey, or any type of sweetener you’d like
- lemon slices, optional
- Add the tea, cinnamon, turmeric, and sweetener to the bottom of a french press. (Or, if using a tea bag, heat up a cup of water on the stove or microwave, and add the tea bag to the water. Let steep for a few minutes, then stir in other ingredients.)
- Add hot water to about the halfway point of the french press and let steep for 3-5 minutes, stirring once, then press. Let the mixture cool off, and then add ice cubes to your cup.
- Once it comes to room temperature, pour the tea into your mug and drink up! Don’t forget to add the lemon slice, if desired.