Millions of people worldwide live with the constant burden of depression. Anyone who suffers from it can tell you that climbing out of that hole feels like a never-ending feat. Oftentimes, people with depression feel that they have to hide it from others because of the stigma attached to it, which only adds to the weight on their shoulders.
The following are the most common symptoms of depression according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America:
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
- Feelings of hopelessness and pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities, including sex
- Decreased energy, fatigue, or feeling “slowed down”
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, and making decisions
- Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
- Low appetite and weight loss or overeating and weight gain
- Thoughts of death or suicide, possible suicide attempts
- Restlessness and irritability
- Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders and pain for which no other cause can be diagnosed
Depression doesn’t always present as feeling sad, either; some people report feeling numb, angry, or disconnected from reality. Although depression is highly treatable, only one in 27 people receive minimally adequate help for their condition in poor countries, according to a groundbreaking global study published in The British Journal of Psychiatry. Furthermore, they found that even in the richest countries, only 20% of people seek help for their condition.
So clearly, the problem with seeking treatment doesn’t just stem from lack of resources. Perhaps the embarrassment some people feel about having depression stops them from getting help. Please remember that you deserve to feel better, and asking for help in overcoming or managing your condition doesn’t make you weak.
With that said, we have gathered some memes about this condition that may shed some light on what people with the mental illness face on a daily basis. If you relate to these or know someone who might need to see them, please share with friends and family.
“There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” – Laurell K. Hamilton, Mistral’s Kiss
Here are 30 memes that only people with depression will understand:
We hope these memes about depression helped those of you out there who might feel alone on your journey. Don’t ever feel like you have to go through something like that by yourself; plenty of people out there can relate to how you feel and will help you carry some of that burden. Although the emotions you face might make you feel like it’s the end of the world, each day you wake up gives you a new chance to change your life.
We leave you with this quote that many people with depression will relate to: “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key.” – Elizabeth Wurtzel