The famous children’s author of Green Eggs and Ham and Cat in the Hat, Dr. Seuss, left behind some very important life lessons through his work.
Many children grew up reading his books, and learned valuable information about life through the literary genius of Dr. Seuss. Even though the stories catered towards children, adults can also draw inspiration and motivation from the powerful lessons within. You might remember the late Dr. Seuss as simply a children’s book author, but he left behind a legacy much greater than that.
Here are 20 quotes to remember from Dr. Seuss:
1. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
No two people on this Earth have the same qualities, so why try to imitate someone else? Why not simply embrace yourself as the beautiful, unique being that you are, and go out and show the world your truth?
2. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
You control what happens in your life, for the most part. You steer the vessel, you call the shots, and you decide what path you should take. If you don’t like your life, then make better choices so that you can live to your highest potential.
3. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
In this world, we all must care about something. Apathy might seem like the easier route, but it won’t bring you near as much fulfillment. Turning your cheek towards important issues in life will not make anything better, so we must care about ourselves and the planet in order to enact any change.
4. “Think and wonder. Wonder and think.”
Don’t allow others to dictate your thoughts or opinions. Use your own brain and intuition instead of relying on technology or other people to think for you.
5. “You are you. Now isn’t that pleasant?”
Instead of bashing everything about you that you see as flawed, try to focus on everything positive about you. You don’t get another body, mind or soul in this life, so you may as well learn to love yourself while you can.
6. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
Our society doesn’t place near enough value on learning and education these days. We spend so much time lost in technology and status updates and taking pictures that we have lost much of our desire and drive to truly learn. Pick up a book, question things you’ve heard, and commit to making life your teacher, always.
7. “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.”
The world might look ugly sometimes, but you can find beauty anywhere. Don’t close your eyes for a second, because before you know it, life will pass you by.
8. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
We tend to overthink life a lot of times, instead of just enjoying it and embracing the simplicity of it all. Try not to let your mind overcomplicate life, and just stay in the present moment.
9. “If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.”
Life can seem stagnant sometimes, but don’t worry – oftentimes, the greatest things happen to us when we least expect them to.
10. “Just tell yourself, duckie, you’re really quite lucky.”
Don’t forget to show gratitude for all the blessings you’ve received in life. Sometimes we tend to focus on all the negatives happening to us, and forget to see the positives through the dark clouds.
11. “It’s better to know how to learn than to know.”
This basically means that knowing doesn’t mean as much as knowing how to obtain new knowledge. The person who claims to know it all really doesn’t know much of anything, because realizing you know nothing is true wisdom.
12. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory.”
Embrace each and every precious memory of your life, because those moments will forever hold a place in your heart.
13. “Only you can control your future.”
Dr. Seuss hit the nail on the head with this one. No one can decide your future for you – only you have the power to make the necessary changes in your life moving forward.
14. “So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts.”
We can feel so small in this life sometimes, but remember, your voice matters. Speak up against corruption and hatred, and you just might make a change where it counts.
15. “Step with great care and tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.”
Sometimes we can get too caught up in moving forward, and forget to watch out for others along our path. Remember to take care of yourself and your life, but to also not neglect or hurt others along the way.
16. “Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive, who is youer than you.”
No one else can ever take your place, so just remember that the next time you feel insignificant or that you don’t matter. Everyone came here with a purpose, and everyone adds value to this life.
17. “Today I will behave as if this is the day I will be remembered.”
What would you change today if you realized you didn’t have tomorrow? Would you feel happy with how people would remember you? Ask yourselves these questions and really pay attention to the answers you receive.
18. “You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!”
You will never be more ready for anything than you are today, so don’t wait. Start now, because now is as good a time as any.
19. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
Don’t ever discount someone or put them down – everyone deserves to have a voice and play a part. We all came here as equals, only labels and classifications have divided us.
20. “I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.”
Learn how to play in the rain instead of hiding from it. We can’t always have sunny days, but we can embrace the rainy ones just as well.