Vertigo is an uncomfortable feeling that many people experience. While this can be treated with medication, there are several natural remedies that help ease the discomfort caused by this condition.
The Best Natural Vertigo Cure
If you’re ready to get rid of vertigo once and for all and would prefer not to take medicine, there are quite a few methods you can try. While some of these methods are physical actions that help establish equilibrium within your body, others help to prevent your body from becoming imbalanced in the first place.
Consider the following 10 strategies as you prepare to treat your vertigo:
1. The Epley Maneuver
The Epley maneuver is also known as the “canalith” maneuver. This technique is usually the go-to method for restoring balance to people that are experiencing vertigo.
Certain research shows that this maneuver is quite effective for individuals dealing with benign positional paroxysmal vertigo (one of the more common types of this condition). While medical professionals can perform this technique, it is easy enough to do on your own at home through the following steps:
1. Position yourself upright as you sit on a flat surface, placing a pillow behind your back as your legs remain outstretched.
2. Next, move your head 45 degrees right.
3. Keeping your head tilted, recline quickly as you place your head on your pillow. Remain in this position for the next 30 seconds.
4. Turn your head towards the left about 90 degrees. As you do this, refrain from lifting your neck.
5. Engaging the whole body, turn yourself towards the left until you are fully on the left side of your body.
6. Then, slowly come back into the initial position, sitting straight up and looking forward.
If you have someone nearby to assist you, have them guide your head based on the above steps. This maneuver can be repeated up to three times, however, you’ll likely feel dizzy with each movement.
2. Semont-Toupet Maneuver
This maneuver is another set of motions that can help restore equilibrium within your body. While this maneuver is not as well known, many studies show that the Semont-Toupet maneuver is as successful as other treatments for this condition.
Perform this method through the following steps:
1. As you sit up on a flat surface, keep a pillow behind you and your legs outstretched.
2. Lie down and turn to the right. Look to the left first, then look upward.
3 Sit up quickly then turn to the left. Keep your head facing your left. Next, look down towards the ground.
4. Return to the original sitting position as you look forward and sit straight up.
3. Brandt-Daroff Exercise
The Brandt-Daroff is a simple vertigo cure that anyone can do on their own unsupervised. This exercise is easy to do but should only be performed by someone that is safely at home that won’t be driving for a few hours. While this maneuver can reduce the symptoms of this condition, it can actually increase dizziness before it cures it.
Perform the Brandt-Daroff exercise through the following steps:
1. Sitting on a surface that’s flat, leave your legs stretched as they would if they were dangling.
2. Turning your head towards the left, lay on your right with your torso and head on the ground. Keep your legs as still as possible and stay in this position for 30 seconds.
3.Repeating this exercise on your opposite side, turn your head towards your right, then turn to lay down on the left side of your body
This exercise can be done in sets of five repetitions. Repeat this maneuver up to three times each day twice every week.
4. Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba is as effective in treating this condition as prescription medication. This extract can be taken in capsule or liquid form.
If you experience dizzying symptoms on a regular basis, try taking 240 mg of ginkgo biloba daily to lessen these feelings.
5. Stress Management
Conditions like Meniere’s disease can lead to dizzying symptoms. Stress is often the underlying trigger to Meniere’s disease and can be successfully treated by practicing coping mechanisms for relieving stress.
Help reduce symptoms of this condition by practicing deep-breathing and meditation techniques daily. This will help you respond to stressful situations in a healthier way.
When it comes to handling long-term stress, consider going to therapy. While these therapy sessions won’t eliminate your stress overnight, it will help you overcome long-term anxieties and traumas over time.
6. Practice Tai Chi and Yoga
Tai chi and yoga can also reduce stress in the body while increasing your balance and flexibility.
Signing up for a tai chi or yoga class will help to train your brain and restore equilibrium to your body. If you’re practicing on your own, start off with basic yoga poses like Corpse Pose and Child’s Pose.
7. Sleep Properly
One of the easiest ways to get your body out of whack is to not get enough sleep. Sleep deprivation can easily trigger these dizzying feelings.
Overcome this temporary experience by prioritizing your sleep schedule. In the moments you start to feel these uncomfortable sensations, consider taking a nap. The more sleep you get, it is likely that your feelings of vertigo will be resolved.
While many people want to get enough sleep, they may not be able to on their own. Conditions like sleep apnea and insomnia can make it incredibly challenging for an individual to get the proper amount of sleep. Moreover, these issues can also rob an individual of sleep quality as well.
Try to control the quality of sleep you get with the following tips:
- Avoid Caffeine and Spicy FoodsThese additions to your diet can be incredibly disruptive to your sleep. While caffeine can make it difficult to fall asleep, spicy foods can lead to indigestion or heartburn, making you wake up in the middle of the night.
- Avoid Using Your Phone Before BedThe bright lights of your phone can interfere with your ability to fall asleep. While you may already be in the habit of watching your favorite shows or movies before bed, this interrupts your body’s natural inclination to go into rest mode when it’s time to sleep.Do your best to avoid your mobile devices for at least an hour before it’s time to go to bed.
- Keep Your Room Dark
It makes sense to have brighter lights if your room doubles as a home office, but make sure your room can go into “bedroom mode” just as easily. Keeping your room dark with dimmer lights and blackout curtains will make it easier for you to get the rest you need at night.
8. Stay Hydrated
As the majority of our bodies are made of water, failing to stay hydrated regularly can wreak havoc on the body. While dehydration can cause many issues, one of the more discomforting ones is this imbalance within the body.
Keep your equilibrium in check by making it a point to stay hydrated throughout the day. Do this by keeping a water bottle on hand everywhere you go. If you’re really serious about your hydration, consider downloading an app to help you stay on top of your water intake.
Additionally, think about reducing the amount of sodium you consume and any diuretics.
9. Take More Vitamin D
Everyone knows that a consistent intake of vitamins and nutrients are essential to living healthily. What most people don’t realize is that a lack of vitamin D can increase symptoms of BPPV, leading to intensified feelings of dizziness.
Bolster the vitamin D in your diet by eating more egg yolks, canned tuna, orange juice, and fortified milk. Ensure you are getting the right amount of this vitamin by checking with your doctor to monitor your levels of vitamin D.
10. Avoid Alcohol
While alcohol can give us euphoric feelings, it’s impossible to deny the uncomfortable feelings of dizziness and nausea that come with drinking.
In addition to this, drinking alcohol actually changes the composition of fluids within your inner ear. This can ultimately affect your balance, even long after the alcohol leaves your system.
The best way to maintain your body’s equilibrium is to avoid alcohol completely. If you don’t want to go on a total alcohol cleanse, try to cut back on your consumption. After drinking alcohol, be sure to drink a large amount of water to help your body flush the toxins out of your system.
Final Thoughts on the Best Vertigo Cure
Each person experiences this condition differently. The better you are able to determine the cause behind this feeling, the sooner you can eliminate this feeling completely. In the meantime, keep practicing these exercises and putting these suggestions to use.
While all 10 of these suggestions may not work as a vertigo cure, they should do their job to make you feel better in the moment. As you attempt to treat your vertigo, be sure to speak with your doctor to ensure you’ve chosen the method for your health.