Life doesn’t always go the way you want it to, and there will be things that you can’t control. Learning to let go and focus only on what you can control can make all the difference in your well-being. Once you acquire this skill, you’ll have an easy time navigating the unexpected.
Your mindset can determine how you deal with the mishaps that occur in your life. If you focus on things you can’t control, you’ll experience unhappiness. On the other hand, if you focus only on things that are within your power, you’ll find happiness, peace, and success.
Don’t waste your time and energy on things you can’t change, and avoid ruminating about the past. You can’t control these things, so focusing your attention on other tasks and ideas is the best option. When you need some guidance, reading quotes from those that have been through it can help.
Fifteen Quotes to Help You Deal Only with What You Can Control
These quotes will help you remember how to deal only with the situations that you can fix while letting go of the rest. As you read through, choose your favorite quotations and post them in a place you’ll see them often. With more reminders, you’ll know to focus on the things that you can control.
1. “Don’t worry about what you can’t control. Our focus and energy needs to be on the things we can control. Attitude, effort, focus- these are the things we can control…” – Tim Tebow
You can’t control everything in life, so wasting time on things you can’t control has no benefit. Use your time and energy to focus on controllable situations instead. When you shift your focus, you’ll find that life gets a little less stressful.
2. “Today, I will go out with the flow of life and trust the process. I will not stress over things I can’t control.” – Unknown
If you focus on the things that you can control, your life will flow much more manageable. Have faith in the process and trust that everything will work out for the best. Stressing over the things you can’t control won’t change anything except your attitude and well-being.
3. “One of the most rewarding and important moments in life Is the moment you finally find the courage to let go of what you can’t change.” – Unknown
It can be hard to accept the truth when things don’t work out the way you hoped they would. However, once you acknowledge that you can’t change it and decide to let it go, you’ll feel free again. You can focus on the parts of your life that you can control, improving your future.
Spending time obsessing over the things you can’t change only holds you back. It saps your energy and time, and the result remains the same. Remember this quote the next time you need the motivation to focus on letting go of uncontrollable circumstances.
4. “If you focus on what you can’t control, you’re a little crazy inside, angry and depressed. If you focus most of the time on what you don’t have instead of what you do have, you’re going to be extremely unhappy.” – Tony Robbins
Spending your time thinking about the things you can’t control will affect your mental health and well-being. It can make you angry, depressed, and unhappy with your life.
Learn to accept the things you can’t control so that you can focus on what you can. If you can make the switch, you’ll quickly notice that you become happier.
5. “Have big dreams but focus only on what you can control: your own thoughts, words, and actions. This was Gandhi’s way … in the words of Buddhist poet Gary Snyder, our job is to move the world a millionth of an inch.” – Eboo Patel
No matter what happens in your life or the world around you, remember the things you can fix. As Patel explains, you can manage your thoughts, words, and actions in all situations.
When you focus on those things, you can get through anything and overcome unexpected events. Plus, your thoughts, words, and actions affect the world around you, too. You can improve the world by focusing on and improving your contribution.
6. “Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t.” – Steve Maraboli
If you always focus on the things you can’t control, you won’t find peace or happiness in life. You’ll constantly desire a life you can’t have, upsetting your well-being and affecting your future. If you focus only on controllable circumstances instead, you’ll notice an improvement in all areas.
7. “Success at anything will always come down to this: focus and effort. And we control both.” – Dwayne Johnson
You can always control your focus and effort, the two main things that lead to success. Focus on your dreams and the tasks at hand, and always give your best effort. With focus and effort, you’re sure to reach your goals and find success in life.
8. “If you can’t do anything about it, don’t worry about it.” – Jeanne Calment
There’s no point in worrying about things you can’t change. Let go of the things you can’t control so you can focus on happiness and peace. Plus, you can put that energy into something you can control rather than wasting it on the things you can’t.
9. “Instead of worrying about what you cannot control, shift your energy to what you can create.” – Roy T. Bennett
When you can’t control something in your life, it’s normal to become upset about it. Get past the negative feelings, though, so that you can move forward. Rather than wasting that energy, follow Bennett’s advice and shift your focus to something you can create.
When you put your energy into something productive, it helps take your mind off the things you can’t change. Plus, expressing yourself through creativity helps with getting over the thing you can’t control, too.
10. “You need to focus on getting where you need to be and not worry about what could have been and what should have been.” – Robbie Lawler
You can’t change the past, so there’s no point in looking back, wishing things could have been different. Don’t waste your energy or disrupt your well-being with these negative thoughts.
Instead, think of where you want to go next and come up with a plan to get there. Then, let go of what you can’t change and spend your time focusing on getting to where you need to be.
11. “I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside.” – Wayne Dyer
You can’t change the world around you or the people in your life, but you can control yourself. No matter what else is happening, you can manage your thoughts and feelings. Choose positivity and happiness in all situations because you always have a choice in those things.
12. “You cannot control all of what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward all of what happens to you…You can choose to be happy and grateful rather than disappointed and bitter, by focusing on how it could have turned out worse but didn’t, rather than how it could have turned out better but didn’t.” – Brian Tracy
Things in life might not always work out the way you hoped they would. You can’t fix everything, but you can always maintain your attitude. So, when faced with something you can’t control, turn your focus to how you react instead.
Keep a positive attitude and choose happiness and gratitude no matter what. Don’t waste your time feeling bad about the situation. Look for the good in all things, even when it isn’t clear right away.
13. “We cannot control the way people interpret our ideas or thoughts, but we can control the words and tones we choose to convey them. Peace is built on understanding, and wars are built on misunderstandings. Never underestimate the power of a single word, and never recklessly throw around words. One wrong word, or misinterpreted word, can change the meaning of an entire sentence and start a war. And one right word, or one kind word, can grant you the heavens and open doors.” – Suzy Kassem
One of the things you can control in life is how you communicate your ideas. There will always be people who misinterpret them, but you can try to help them understand. Say only what you mean, and refrain from using hurtful, misleading words.
One wrong word can cause misunderstanding, leading to disruption and people being upset. Use kind words, and always think before you speak.
14. “I learned long ago to focus on things you can control and don’t even pay attention to things you don’t.” – Bryan Cranston
You can’t control everything, no matter how hard you try. Practice shifting your mindset to the things you can control, and you’ll get much further in life.
15. “The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.” – Charles Darwin
Out of all the things you can try to change, your thoughts are the most important to focus on. Your ideas can make all the difference, as they tend to predict what will happen next. Plus, your thoughts can change the course of the world if you focus on positive, productive things.
Final Thoughts on Quotes to Help You Deal Only with What You Can Control
Focusing only on the things you can control in life will help you move forward and find success. When you think about letting go of uncontrollable circumstances, you’ll find yourself investing your time and energy in more beneficial ways. Don’t let the things you can’t control hold you back and control your feelings.
Use these quotes about what you can control to improve your life and shift your mindset. The quotes will remind you to focus on the things that matter most.