Relationships are different for each couple, but there are some similarities amongst all couples. This makes quotes about relationships popular, and they can help you understand your partner just a little better.
There are quotes about relationships that show the ups and downs you may experience. Plus, there are quotes about relationships that may help you make the best decisions along the way.
While many of the quotes aren’t written by relationship experts, they are written by people with experience who have been through the same things you may be going through. Through the good and the bad, quotes about relationships can help you.
Quotes About Relationships
1. “Some think love can be measured by the amount of butterflies in their tummy. Others think love can be measured in bunches of flowers, or by using the words ‘for ever.’ But love can only truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don’t like doing it.”
— Marian Keyes
The things that you do speak volumes compared to the things that you say. Saying “forever” may be sweet, but physically doing something that you know will make your significant other happy are the things that will be remembered most. As the quote explains, even the littlest things can make someone you care about smile.
2. “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.”
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
To be on the same page in a relationship, both partners have to be looking in the same direction for the future. If you are each looking a different way, the relationship likely shouldn’t or can’t last. Remember to stay true to yourself, though, and don’t change your view.
3. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.”
There is normally a reason that you are feeling so passionately. Even if you can’t explain why you stick around through the bad times, you know that there is a reason. No relationship can ever be perfect and smooth all the time, and that is all a part of the adventure.
4. “To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship.”
—Doménico Cieri Estrada
Sometimes your significant other will need space, and it is important for you to know when this is. There are other times they will need your presence more than ever, and you should know when that is, as well. These two pieces of knowledge can make your relationship work.
5. “Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.”
—Patrick Rothfuss in The Wise Man’s Fear
To stick by your significant other through all of their flaws speaks of true love, not loving only the perfect things you saw in the beginning. This is how you will know you have found your person.
6. “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”
—Harry in When Harry Met Sally
When you know you’ve found the right person, you immediately want your life to start on the track of what you dreamed your future would look like. Planning where you will live, what you will do, and the other major details of your future will start sooner than you expected.
7. “The joy of life is variety; the tenderest love requires to be rekindled by intervals of absence.”
You can’t be together all the time and expect to still feel just as tender and passionate as in the beginning. Spending time apart, even short amounts of time results in more tender love.
8. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”
— Albert Schweitzer
Even when you’re angry or confused, continue being nice. In any situation, being mean can end a relationship. Be kind to your lover, and you will gain understanding and trust from them.
9. “We can improve our relationships with others by leaps and bounds if we become encouragers instead of critics.”
— Joyce Meyer
If your significant other doesn’t do something exactly as you would have or if they messed up, don’t criticize them. Instead, encourage them, and they will likely try harder to do it differently next time. Criticism can cause negative feelings in both of you, while encouragement shows them that you support them and want to see them do better.
10. “Love doesn’t make the world go around. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile.”
—Fraklin P. Jones
Even without love, the world goes on. The world doesn’t ever stop for any of us. Love does make unpredictable events in life worth it, however.
Don’t let life continue while you don’t feel like it is worthwhile. Find the person you love and keep them along for the ride.
11. “A loving relationship is one in which the loved one is free to be himself — to laugh with me, but never at me; to cry with me, but never because of me; to love life, to love himself, to love being loved. Such a relationship is based upon freedom and can never grow in a jealous heart.”
– Leo F. Buscaglia
It is important to be true to yourself and continue living a life separate from your lover. Continue the hobbies you had before your relationship, and continue spending time with those from before. No one should have to hurt, feel bad, or feel guilty for being who they are, and this can only happen if you work on ignoring jealousy.
12. “True love is not a hide-and-seek game; in true love, both lovers seek each other.”
—Michael Bassey Johnson
In a relationship, both lovers should be available for one another. They should be there for companionship, support, love, and any other positive emotion that you correlate with love.
If you start showing your significant other that you aren’t making them a priority, are avoiding them, or are putting others before them, they exit the relationship. Oftentimes, like the quote states, they’ll feel like they are playing hide-and-seek when that should be a problem.
13. “Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.”
– William James
As mentioned before, kindness goes far in a relationship. If you come into a disagreement with someone and have a bad attitude, the relationship is likely going to be damaged in some way. On the other hand, if you come in with a positive attitude, you can deepen your relationship.
14. “You don’t develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity.”
Not every day is going to be perfect when you are in a relationship. Relationships are difficult and take work. By making it through the hard times and coming out better because of it, you are showing true courage.
If you give up before making it through the hard times, courage wasn’t shown during the relationship. Make sure you are showing courage if you want a relationship to last.
15. “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.”
—Morrie Schwartz in Tuesdays with Morrie
One of the most important parts of being in a relationship is to learn how to not only give love but to accept it as well. It can be hard for someone if their significant other cannot accept the love they are giving.
You may have to work at being able to let love in, but by being intentional about accepting it when your lover is giving it, it’ll quickly become a habit. This will make you happier by being able to feel the love, and it’ll make your significant other happier to have their love accepted. It is a winning situation for both of you.
Final Thoughts on These Quotes About Relationships
Even if your relationship is in a good place, reading quotes about relationships can help you feel stronger about it. You will realize that what you are doing is right, or you can learn new ways to approach your partner.
Quotes about relationships can help anyone in a relationship, no matter how long that relationship has been serious. With these quotes about relationships, you may be able to think of how to word something you have been trying to say or even something that you may not have been able to understand yourself.