When you are feeling down, it can be difficult to find something to boost your mood. Even if you can’t think of it right away, there is always something to be happy about, however.
Knowing that there is something to be happy about doesn’t always do the trick, though. It can be hard to find a mood booster when you are feeling down, even if you know to look. You aren’t alone in this, either, as everyone faces it sometimes.
Luckily, those who have been through it before have gone on to talk about it. Through their quotes, you can find a mood booster for when you are feeling down.
Fifteen Mood Booster Quotes for When You’re Feeling Down
1. “Don’t rely on someone else for your happiness and self-worth. Only you can be responsible for that. If you can’t love and respect yourself – no one else will be able to make that happen. Accept who you are – completely; the good and the bad – and make changes as YOU see fit – not because you think someone else wants you to be different.” – Stacey Charter
If the reason you are feeling down is because of something someone else said or did, move on. You are the one responsible for your happiness, and no one else should be able to ruin that for you.
The person you are is worthy and deserving of happiness. Accept yourself as you are and make the decision to be happy. If you make changes to yourself, ensure they are changes you want to make and not forced by someone else.
2. “In time, every sad ending will become happy. The sad ending is only because the author stops telling the story. But it still goes on. It’s just untold.” – Mark Polish
As Polish explains, the endings are sad because that is where the story ends. To get to the happy part of your story, you have to keep telling your story. This means keep moving forward and living for the present instead of repeatedly reliving the past.
3. “I try to make myself do things for other people when I’m feeling down. Like, you can call your local hospital and help out in the pediatric unit.” – Abigail Breslin
When you are feeling down, helping others can boost your mood. It takes your thoughts and focuses away from your negative thoughts and feelings. Plus, helping others is a known way to encourage personal happiness.
You don’t necessarily have to volunteer in a pediatric unit. Many volunteer opportunities may work for you. Choose one that will bring you joy, and you’ll quickly see how it can be mood-boosting.
4. “Concern should drive us into action and not into a depression. No man is free who cannot control himself.” – Pythagoras
When you are feeling down about something, don’t let yourself fall into a depression. Put all of your energy into moving forward and working on your future. When you can control yourself in this way, you’ll soon find the happiness you are waiting for.
5. “Hope is important because it can make the present moment less difficult to bear. If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
When you have hope for a better future, it’ll be easier for you to feel better now. On the other hand, if you continue thinking things won’t ever get better, you’ll continue to feel down. So, always remember to have hope because it’ll help you get through this present moment.
6. “No one is in control of your happiness but you; therefore, you have the power to change anything about yourself or your life that you want to change.” – Barbara DeAngelis
When you are in control of your own life, you’ll be able to make any changes you desire. Use your power to make your life the one you’ve always dreamed of. Remind yourself that no one is in charge of your happiness except yourself.
7. “You can go to the doctor a million times if you’re feeling down, and get nowhere, but if you go for a run it makes you feel really good.” – Gail Porter
You may think a doctor is the best bet when you can’t pull yourself out of a funk. This isn’t always true, however, because they can’t always get to the root of the problem.
Exercise, however, is a proven way to boost moods and aid in depression. Whether you are a runner or you choose a different form of exercise, it is sure to help you.
8. “You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot – it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.” – Maya Angelou
If you feel like you can’t boost your mood when you are feeling down, consider your surroundings. When your surroundings and experiences are positive ones, you’ll be happier. As Angelou explains, even the smallest parts of your life influence your wellbeing.
9. “I am strong because I’ve been weak. I am fearless because I’ve been afraid. I am wise because I’ve been foolish.” – Anonymous
You have to experience hard times to grow and develop into a better person. When you feel weak, remember that you are getting stronger through the struggle.
If you are afraid, remember that facing fear will help you overcome it. Likewise, if you feel like you don’t know something, remember that you are learning and becoming wiser.
10. “The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Unknown
Life won’t always be easy, and you will experience difficulty or disappointment regularly. If you want to stop feeling down when hard times happen, look for the opportunity.
There is always a new opportunity when you are faced with adversity, whether a learning opportunity or something else. When you begin to do this, you’ll be happier and you won’t feel down as often.
11. “Each day you only have a limited amount of time and energy. Don’t waste it stressing about things you cannot control.” – Karen Salmansohn
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it on things you can’t change. Let go of the obstacles or hardships that you can’t control. Focus all of your energy on positivity, instead.
12. “The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be.” – Marcel Pagnol
If you can change your mindset, you can change your life and wellbeing. Don’t give the past more credit than it deserves, and embrace the present instead of thinking negatively about it. Most importantly, don’t stress yourself out that the future won’t work out because it will.
13. “Even when you are feeling down, you have to live your life positively, that way, happy days and happy feelings will come to you someday.” – Kim Hyun-Joong
Things may not get better right away, but the more you move on, the more your mood boosts. Think happy thoughts, be hopeful for the future, and remember the pain won’t last forever. This will help you boost your mood sooner, and the positivity will make today better.
14. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
When you can’t seem to cheer up, find a reason to smile. If you can’t find a reason to smile, force yourself to smile.
The more you smile, the happier you will be. By forcing yourself to smile, you may be able to experience the joy you wouldn’t have otherwise felt.
15. “I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, “This is what it is to be happy.” – Sylvia Plath
There is always something to be happy about. If you can’t think of anything, just take a step outside.
Look around at the trees, people, lakes, mountains, or any other amazing sight. Take a deep breath and breathe in the fresh air. All of these natural things are things that can bring you happiness.
Final Thoughts on Quotes to Boost Your Mood When You’re Feeling Down
When you are feeling down, you need to find a mood booster to help you through. You should embrace a person in your life or just the scene outside of your door. No matter how simple it is, finding something to be happy about is essential.
Once you can do this, you’ll being to feel better. Most importantly, you have to keep moving and working toward a better future when you are feeling down. This is the best way to get through it, and there will be a positive outcome because of it.